Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: avo turbo

anyone dealt with them before?

i was just looking at their site and was considering a turbo upgrade (stage 1) kit since i'm still in the early stages of my mods

seems like a good way to spend 5k to get some power out of my vti-r b18c

thoughts anyone?

Member Array
    Car:
    450kwCRX-DC2R-CBR600rr
    It’s a ok kit for what you get for 5000$, designed for low boost only applications, but its not designed for anything more than a little bit of boost. Do some research and you should find better options such as piecing together your own custom turbo kit, buy parts which will last, don’t cut corners other wise the life of your engine will suffer.

I recently fixed up a cheap turbo conversion on a dc2, the original customer had cut way to many corners, fixing up the mistakes alone cost more than 5000$ do the job correctly the second time that’s all I can say, go with quality and worry about price later. The turbo dc2 type r running 7psi totally stock engine making more than double its original power at the wheels, but the kit now / setup will have no problems running 20+psi when the engine gets built.

Best thing is to look at your goals what do you want out of your car, how much more power do you want, how far will you go in the future, you need to answer these questions so u can get a kit designed for your needs, and not a kit which is cheap.

Regards James

For $5,000 I think you're getting all the basic stuff like a cast manifold, small turbo (equivalent to a T25), dump pipe, piping from turbo to throttle body, oil lines, vacuum hoses, extra injector & chip. You wont be getting a cooler I don;t think. Take a good look at what's in the kit and set out your budget. I am pretty sure all their kits are enigineered.

If you can afford about $6,000, you can probably go a better custom job with better fuel management.

If you don;t want to rebuild your motor I am assuming that you would want to go pretty basic set up. An intercooler would help especially with the summer weather getting pretty hot which increases risk of detonation.

at the moment what i'm hoping from the set up is

for it to be some what reliable ( heard horror stories of engine bits blowing outta the engine) so i'm gueessin a small boost of about 7psi woulndt be too bad

no turbo lag

the kit comes with a Bar and plate intercooler core with high flow cast aluminium tanks (thats pretty much an intercooler isnt it?)

at the moment not looking to change the internals unless its necessary cause i'll prob be content with the small boost

previously was considering going all motor but i doubt i'll get as much from changing the internals and i'll prob end up spending alot more than 5 ks

also is there any point investing in extractors (thinking jdm 4-1s)if i'm considering going turbo?

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    nup you cant use extractors on a turbo setup, since the turbo is mounted to the exhaust manifold

Only thing i dont like about the AVO turbo kits is the fuel setup, they use an extra injector from memory

Quote Originally Posted by poid
    Only thing i dont like about the AVO turbo kits is the fuel setup, they use an extra injector from memory
    whats so bad about an extra injector?

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    my opinion is that with an extra injector you may risk uneven fuel distribution amongst the cylinders, so could get detonation in a cylinder more easily or have cylinder running richer than others, resulting in a less than optimal tune.

I much prefer swapping 4 larger injectors in place of the stock ones

Snap Happy! Array
    Car:
    ER34
    You'll need ECU upgrade with larger injectors too.

And don't forget your clutch will die a pre-mature death.
    ClubITR.com.au

On small bosst you might get away with the stock clutch. I ran 9psi on my stock ITR clutch and it held it all right.

Extra injectors are a cheapo quick alternative to four bigger injectors.
    Do the fuel system properly as this is one of the most vital partsin keeping your motor alive! Don't go cheap on it, plus you need a good tuner!
    Eg: 7 psi, extra injector = risk of engine damage, medium power gain.
    9psi, ems, bigger injectors, fuel pump, fuel reg + good tuner = less risk with more power than the fisrt set up.
    having a small turbo or big turbo has nothing to do with anything. You have to make sure of what power goals your after, your budget and who you trust.
    Once you got that you will be able to determine if you can fullfill your cars needs. If you want to have a go at going bodgey by all means do it and learn the hard way. Take some advice from people with experience not thoughts.

Member Array
    Car:
    450kwCRX-DC2R-CBR600rr
    here's a list of things i recon you will need to make a unreal street boosted car....
    pick and choose what you want.. but without eveything your cutting corners...and this is only the start.. before you look at doing your engine suspension and brakes...

Turbo GT30XX Garret ballbearing
    Turbo Mainfold full-race.com
    Down Pipe
    Wastegate
    Waste gate dump
    stainless Cooler pipes
    Injectors 660cc
    Fuel Pump
    Hondata S200
    PWR Radiator
    13" fan
    MSD 6x Igintion spark
    oil change
    filter change
    fuel filter
    air filter
    air intake piping
    fuel reg
    nuts bolts fittings materials
    Tuning
    labour
    coolent
    plugs
    gasket
    oil feed / drain / Water
    silcon
    oil sump baffel + drain
    intercooler
    Intake Mainfold
    Fuel Rail
    clutch
    spark plug leads
    E-01 Boost controller
    Turbo Timer

Regards James

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    Hye blxcrx. by fuel reg to u mean a fuel pressure regulator? Why wont the stock rail pressures be good enough with larger injectors, i always thought that u only needed higher rail pressures if u wanted to get more outa ur injectors, but 660cc should be good for a non-built motor?
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Member Array
    Car:
    450kwCRX-DC2R-CBR600rr
    Yes fuel reg is a fuel pressure regulator, you don't want to use the stock one because under high boost there just not safe, yes iv run boosted car's using the stock reg but when you start using boost in a regulator not designed for boost your asking for trouble unless you have the best engine management....its also handy to get a reg with a gauge on it so you can read the pressure on a dyno, I don’t use fuel reg’s to increase pressure like some people do to squeeze more fuel thought the injectors, I use it to make sure maintain a perfect 38psi or so fuel pressure under all conditions, basically your want a raising rate fuel pressure reg for boost. As for the 660’s there good enough for 20psi easy, although again the important thing to any engine turbo conversion is fuel and fuel management, making sure you have enough fuel flow is very important, again if you build your engine or looking at buildig your engine why cut corners in the early days buy equipment that will work later on if you build your engine.