Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Isabel

Terrible fuel economy

Hi guys

I just bought a 2000 ek gli hatch and I'm only getting around 250km per tank? It's only mod is a straight pipe, does anyone have any ideas what the hell could be causing such poor fuel economy?
    Last edited by pablos8; 09-05-2011 at 10:20 AM.
    Samm928: I must say your the biggest noob kid ever.
    that is all.

WTFPWNED
    Secretly trying to make my daily into a warrior without my missus knowing...

Member Array
    Car:
    b18c2+T Ej8
    what would i do first is clean the throttle , air filter , change fuel filter. reset ecu. could be sensors too
    i do not much about fuel injection. but had this problem with dual carb, they said carbie need rebuild i got my sself carbie from wrecker and changed fuell filter and it done the job.

Member Array
    Car:
    Grocery getter
    Interested aswell, mates getting 550-600 from his Breeze EG, and im getting 400-450 from my EG VTi, cant be that much of a difference right .. ? Been driving like a pansy aswell.

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    Pump the tyres up
    TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
    TODA Racing - FIGHTEX - MFactory - HALTECH - EXEDY
    Race engines, Dyno tuning, Licenced workshop, Parts.
    P:0401869524 email: toda@todaracing.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S
    How'd you go about determining 250km per tank? Going by fuel gauge varies car to car and its hard to tell REALLY how much litres is left in the car if it wasn't completely empty, even by using the fuel light. 250km per tank would be 18L/100km which would be quite absurd for any car really.

Best method is to:
    - fill to full and reset trip meter
    - next time you fill up, fill to full again
    - note the litres you just poured into your car
    - divide the litres by the amount of km on your trip meter, then multiply by 100

that'll give you the xxL/100km

Member Array
    Car:
    Isabel
    Quote Originally Posted by TODA AU View Post
    Pump the tyres up
    The tyres are pumped, made sure of that. Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Tael View Post
    How'd you go about determining 250km per tank? Going by fuel gauge varies car to car and its hard to tell REALLY how much litres is left in the car if it wasn't completely empty, even by using the fuel light. 250km per tank would be 18L/100km which would be quite absurd for any car really.

Best method is to:
    - fill to full and reset trip meter
    - next time you fill up, fill to full again
    - note the litres you just poured into your car
    - divide the litres by the amount of km on your trip meter, then multiply by 100

that'll give you the xxL/100km
    well I filled up like 35L and pulled 250km's til the fuel light came on.. so its like 14L/100km?

Thats pretty pathetic imo.. not sure whats going on
    that is all.

WTFPWNED

Member Array
    Car:
    Yellow EG =D
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedVtec View Post
    Interested aswell, mates getting 550-600 from his Breeze EG, and im getting 400-450 from my EG VTi, cant be that much of a difference right .. ? Been driving like a pansy aswell.
    Well the most i have ever got driving a VTI is 500. Breezes can push 650 on high way driving.
    replace your fuel filter on your car and see how u go.

Breezes can get so much mileage because it isn't a EFI. the petrol that is pumped into it is constantly no matter how hard/fast/slow your driving.

pab's get a spare can and fill it with some petrol. then when pour a full tank drive it until it dies. that way u know exactly how much u can get.
    WINTON PB - 1:48.9
    EG5 1.6L SOHC

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Is it running cold? Thermostat?

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    Is it running cold? Thermostat?
    good advice

Time for troubleshooting. Leave no stone unturned. It's a game of elimination.

This is how you check fuel economy. Fuel it up to full and refill to full after that.

Then do this : how many Litres till full % how many kilometres travelled, then X100. Any more than 9 is more than it should be consuming.
    Last edited by Mikecivic78; 06-05-2011 at 07:27 PM.
    くまくま━━━━━━ヽ( ・(ェ)・ )ノ━━━━━━ !!

Member Array
    Car:
    92 B18 eg Civic
    Faulty/old o2 sensor can cause bad fuel economy. It's a pretty common problem and often overlooked when servicing is done. Really easy to replace too

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Quote Originally Posted by quangsuke View Post

Breezes can get so much mileage because it isn't a EFI. the petrol that is pumped into it is constantly no matter how hard/fast/slow your driving.
    What? This makes no sense at all. All things equal, an efi car will always get better fuel economy than a carby. That's why all cars are efi now.

I'd say you need to do a complete filter change, do a throttle body clean, and change the oxygen sensor

Sent from my custard cannon like Peter North.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    Isabel
    I do alot of normal driving, speed limit around 60kmh, never drive in peak hour since i catch the train to and from work, I don't floor it, always try to keep the revs under 2.5k, my last fill up was until it clicked aka full tank
    that is all.

WTFPWNED