Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

how far can a DC5R go/ what to look for?

Hey guys.

I'm in the market for a DC5R and there are quite a few DC5Rs at a reasonable price but with higher KMS, unfortunately I have a phobia of cars with high KMs as mine has barely hit 50,000kms. I understand that Honda engines are bulletproof but I'd like to know how far your cars has gone and what risks I will be facing (in terms of maintenance) on a high KM DC5r say around 170,000kms or so (assuming the car has been properly serviced every 5000kms and the expected spirited driving from any typeR owner :P)

I have though about the prospect of driving it until it dies (as I don't think the car would be worth anything by the time it hits 250+ kms) then dropping a K24 into it, however that is a plan for the future, I think i will be keeping the car for 5yrs + on average I drive around 20,000kms a year, would the car make it to 270,000kms with proper maintenance?

Also what price should I be looking at for a 2002 - 2003 dc5r stock with around 100- 150kms and is there anything specific I should check for when inspecting the car.

Kind Regards,
    Phil

Member Array
    Car:
    Clio RS197
    How long is a peice of string?

With proper maintence it should go for well into the 200k km region.

also think about reselling, whos gunna buy a car thats clocked 270,000, ull be losing out heaps. just be on the watch and find one with better kms that will won't set u back so much when u resell.
    FS: BMW E60 04' 530i

Of course every car is different depending on the maintenance and how it is driven, but i would just like a general idea of how much milage people have been able to rack up on their DC5R without it having massive issues.

Member Array
    Car:
    Clio RS197
    One guys has like 200k+ on DC5... still runs fine.

K-Series is a good engine.

I guess I need to base my decision on whether I am willing to drop a new engine in then or not, or unless I can get a bargain price for it.

My theory was that if say in 5years time the car would be worth 5- 6k I'd be more likely to keep it than let it go as it would not as much of a financial burden. However things do change decisions decisions.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    my civic has done over 300 000 kms and it still runs the same as when we bought it at around the 100 000 km mark

it all depends on how it has been driven and looked after - and i find that hondas that are serviced on genuine/oem parts and fluids tend to last a hell of a lot longer than aftermarket stuff

generally - a car should do roughly 20 000 kms a year - but you have to factor in how its been driven and serviced

a car that has done 40-50k kms a year but looked after and serviced well will always be better than a car that does 10k kms a year but is thrashed and not serviced properly

honda engines are fairly easy to revive if they are a bit tired - and the Dc5 is on the newer end of the scale - so i wouldn't blink at anything up until 200k kms

theres such a phobia of high kms cars - they WILL go forever if they are:
    A. made with quality parts in the first place - its a honda so +1
    B. serviced and maintained well etc

a mate of mine has a sierra that has been around the clock (yes thats over a million kms, its been to darwin, around the NT and back again, in the family since 1990) with no major hicups - things have been replaced on a clockwork interval and its serviced every 5k kms

another mate has an EG that is coming up on 500k kms and he also keeps it in check and it runs like clockwork
    Last edited by TheSaint; 02-05-2011 at 12:31 AM.
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

thanks for the advice guys,

what would you say is a fair price for a DC5R with 178,000kms in fair condition. No mechanical faults, log book service, bit of wear and tear in interior but nothing major.

I know that it's very very subjective depending on the car, however what would the ball park figure be? As I don't want to come out of negotiating with a sore jaw

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Damn, that's a big pile of kilometres...

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5
    dude spend a bit more and buy one with >100kms

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Test the car, view it in
    Person. Would u rather. Acar that has say 150k klm but has been serviced at least once every 10k klm... Or
    Would u rather a dc5r with only 50k klm but has never been serviced? Definitely
    Look at his log
    Book and check how often the owner has the services
    Complwted. Myself personally, i
    Folllow the log book servicing with a 5k oil filter and
    Oil change in between. Same as my gf's dc5 and hers is a daily... Just on 150k klm and still performs great!

hey man, check your pm... I think you would like what I have to say. 178,000 is too friggin high, I wouldnt even get it tbh.