Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK gli

how to lower my car.. your advice please

hey guys.

would you go for

Option 1 where get adjustable SPRINGS on stock shocks temporarily until the shocks die then get coilovers.. (cost = approximately $150 then coildovers )

or

Option 2 Lag and get coilover when you can afford while riding in a stock high state? (cost coilover price)

which one would you choose? lows NOW or save up and get quality lows later =]

thanks
    David

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    how badly do u want to go low LOL.... Most would say go 2nd option, purely cause with adjustable springs, it can be dangerous, and rolling on blown shocks is horrible! shiity handling and the ride can get hairy sometimes

Go for lowered springs, not adjustable springs

For me, i went first option, but with just lowered springs, Kings, when funds permit, ill shall indeed be goin coilovers when the cash flows in

Not everyone has 1k lying around, hence why i went lowered springs firstly, an i hated driving around in a car that looks like a 4wd
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK gli
    i also think this way.. but yea my friends have told me otherwise.. just wanted to hear the forums opinion... thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by mugen_ctr View Post
    how badly do u want to go low LOL.... Most would say go 2nd option, purely cause with adjustable springs, it can be dangerous, and rolling on blown shocks is horrible! shiity handling and the ride can get hairy sometimes

Go for lowered springs, not adjustable springs

For me, i went first option, but with just lowered springs, Kings, when funds permit, ill shall indeed be goin coilovers when the cash flows in

Not everyone has 1k lying around, hence why i went lowered springs firstly, an i hated driving around in a car that looks like a 4wd

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK gli
    whats the diff in lowered springs and adjustble ones.... what if i lowwered it to a point where its a 2-2.5 inch drop?

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Why do you want coilovers? I would not suggest investing in coilovers just to lower your car. You sacrifice plenty of comfort and it's not cheap in terms of lowering.

I think just wait until you can afford coilovers (if you want stiff). But if you just want your car lowered then buy lowered springs.

I wanted stiff and low but ended up farting around trying to get cheaper parts. In the end I just spent the money and got Bilstein coilovers - everything else was a WOTAM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    the reason i say dont go for adjustable is that it wasnt designed for the shock length, and host of other troubles, spring rates too hard
    One problem one of my mate had was that the spring nearly fell out of its seat! scary

Lowered springs are considered more safer as they use oem struts to seat them in, in terms of drop, ive found that if u go to low, the shocks will die quicker, such as 2 inch drop, 1.5 is fine, but 2 is more likey to shorten its life
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Adjustable springs on stock/aftermarket shocks can work when installed correctly, but if you're going to do that you're better off getting the full adjustability in a coilover.

The biggest question is do you want to lower your car for handling purposes or for the aesthetics?

Lowering springs will only get you so far, but the ride quality isnt as good as the factory ride quality due to the car limiting the stroke of the shock. A coilover application is much better in terms of the stroke of the shock, but all coilovers are built and designed to be stiffer to aid in the handling of the car. Things like road noise can be increased etc.

Another question anyone should ask themselves is; What am I willing to sacrifice to gain what I want to achieve. Things like suspension modifications can be noisy and not as comfortable, but you cant have it all.

If money is no option, then another avenue is airbag suspension, but thats a different ballpark of legalities and costs.
    Problem?

FFamily

options:

1: buy king spring and lower it (400) set with installation
    2: pedden spring , around the same price but bit too tough ,and not really receommanded( 400-600)
    3: chop the spring and go whateva low you want , but if that didnt do it properly then whole stock will stuf and its coz major incident ( free)
    4: coliover, expensive but its adjuectable and you can go what ever you want and it can be raise up and down ( 1000+)

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    if youre worried about cost, look at 2nd hand.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    Yellow EG =D
    your shocks will be fine. just make sure u get some bump stops to protect them from bottoming out.
    lovells low springs are great for money and quite comfortable.

i miss my old suspension setup (koni shocks, lovell super lows)

Ox is right, depends on what u want from ur car being low.

p.s. im sick of the bumpy rides from coilovers
    WINTON PB - 1:48.9
    EG5 1.6L SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    makita one way adjustables

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

Get option 2. Get it right the first time

And save on install...pm me