can i use an oil drain bolt gasket/washer from another car?

Hi Guys,

i am servicing my dads HR-V and came across a slight problem.

After undoing the oil sump plug, it appears there is no washer/gasket in between the drain plug and the sump. I have heard this is bad and can cause leaking.

unfortunately i do not have any gaskets specifically for this car.

However i have a few for my Peugeot 205. I was wondering if it will be safe to use this?

It seems to be relatively the same size and is aluminum. Except it is just a bit less thicker than the plug itself.

Do you guys think it will be ok to use this?

If not is there any places around western sydney that sell these? Dont really wanna have to order one over the internet and wait a couple of days just to do an oil change. Was hoping there is one i can just pick up around the area.

Thanks guys for the help.

Merc

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    So long as the thread size and length is about the same size, i dont see why not, ive used a non sump plug before, only because i accidentally stripped the bolt head off, so long as u tighten it well, and the washer is in good condition, than should be fine

As for finding one, go to wreckers an pinch one lol, If ur in a hurry, Honda should stock em but will be pricey!
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

thanks mate. Took your advice and using the washer from the Peugeot. I'll let u know how it goes.

I will definitely change to the fumoto plug valves next time i do a service. These things look like it will save me a lot of time and hassles. Just undo the valve like a tap and it will drain the oil.

Goto google and type in: fumoto plug valves to find it.

Cheers,
    Merc