Thread: vtec solenoid

vtec solenoid

hi guys/girls

i just have a question regarding the vtec solenoid (i think its the thing thats activates the switching point from low to high cams for vtecs or something that kicks the vtec in)

i drove my frendz vti coupe and felt no vtec wat so eva. The powerband just revved like a normal car with no vtec rush at all. I was just wondering if it were possible to take out the solenoid and put it into a dc2 vtir as this is what i think the previous owner might have done? if so, would taking out the solenoid affect the vtec in any way?

i used to have a eg gli hatch and i have driven all types of civics (eg vei, eg vti, ek vtir, em1 vti-r (my current car),dcr vti-r and even a s2000... wish it were mine! ), and my frends coupe drives like my old gli hatch. i thought it would go hard but it just didnt feel right and im thinking its due to this solenoid.

any info would be great!

recovering.... Array
    Car:
    Nicole
    those vti coupes r only soho... dun expect too much ... main purpose is to save fuel

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    no its still there, i assure u.. stock vtec in a stock sohc is not really noticeable.
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Weq
    no its still there, i assure u.. stock vtec in a stock sohc is not really noticeable.
    Yup!

Changing the solenoid will not do anything.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

thanks for the info guys. even tho changing of the solenoid might not affect it, driving it felt really like my 95 1.5l gli hatch. whereas driving a 94 vti sedan did give it that vtec kick. just seems weird. either way my friends car is getting serviced and looked at so we'll see if there are any probs.

Member Array
    Car:
    datsun 200b
    well u can alwayz check.. just remove the filter outta the box.. give it a run..
    if u hear any sound pitch changing from the filter.. means the VTEC is kicking..
    if all u hear is engine straining and no induction noise.. meaning ur solenoid is dead.. or not connected

Ken

no check engine lights?

no problems.
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpy1
    thanks for the info guys. even tho changing of the solenoid might not affect it, driving it felt really like my 95 1.5l gli hatch. whereas driving a 94 vti sedan did give it that vtec kick. just seems weird. either way my friends car is getting serviced and looked at so we'll see if there are any probs.
    Are u sure it was a VTEC model? VTEC was an option for the VTi sedans, plenty only have SOHC's in em.
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

you mean "non-VTEC SOHC" Weq?
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell
    you mean "non-VTEC SOHC" Weq?
    Yeah.

Make sure the motor actually has a VTEC soloenoid.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    96 Civic Coupe & 01 200sx
    He is talking about my car.
    It has the d16y8 which is sohc vtec T_T

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EJ8 VTi CIVIC COUPE
    You Usually Will Only Notice It Change Over
    On A Hill Or With Alot Of Load On It,
    As Weg Said Not Very Noticable On Sohc