Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Repaint my Enkei RP01

I just bought some Enkei RP01 and definitely needs repainting.

I was just wondering is it safe to use paint stripper on Enkei RP01? What material would these rims be made out of?

Any tips in repainting would be much appreciated.

Rep my posts if they are helpful!

pep

mate while its fun to do it yourself - id pay someone to do it professionally and get them powder coated for longevity and look. Sorry to say - but every wheel ive seen painted by its owner has been....average at best.

Try MAGMAN at punchbowl - does one of the cheapest prices in Sydney and quality work.

Magman Workshop For Wheels

Wheels & Rims--Automotive - Punchbowl, NSW

2/ 21 Moxom Rd, Punchbowl NSW 2196, Australia
    (02) 9709 2686

Moderator Array
    Car:
    RiceTrolley.
    Personal e p with paint striper on wheels, it's safe to use but it will NOT remove all the paint, intend it will leave bits/flakes behind and makes it More painful to sand/smooth surface

I will never use paint striper again myself, instead just sand it down > prime > colour
    凸-_-凸

I called up a few places and they quoted 75-100 per wheel. Its a bit exxy for me atm. I will give Magman a call.

I just had a go with a wire cup brush and it was SO EASY to remove the paint.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    After you give magman a call let me know roughly how much they are charging. Im interested in doing mine as well. Cheers.

Tried to call Magman up but think his phone is disconnected, didn't even have dial tone.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG8
    DIY using proper wheel paint and hightemp primer gave me good results. Total cost was $60, they I'm Matt black though so no real skill was involved. I say try DIY and if you don't like then get pros to do it, got nothing to loose but $60
    Why don't you tell your daddy to comb his damn hair, look like some spiders is having a meetin' on his head.

Any recommendation of what brand/type primer and paint and where I could get them?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG8
    Just go to autobahn. I think it's the VHL wheel paint (high temp) and k&h high temp primer and and VHL clear coat if you want. Basically do nice sand till almost smooth, the primer is thickish so covers most scratches then real fine sand then paint. Just make sure to wash wheels properly before you start anything and heaps of wax and grease remover. Good thing with black is if paint gets on them who cares, it's same colour and flakes of the rubber like 2kms up the road anyways, though cover tire for primer
    Why don't you tell your daddy to comb his damn hair, look like some spiders is having a meetin' on his head.

Just want to ask about a few steps in painting my wheels

1. Should I do etch primer then normal primer?

2. Do I dry sand in between each layer of primer? (etch > sand > etch > sand > normal primer > sand > normal primer > sand > paint?)

3. How should I remove small particles after sanding in between primer layers?

4. I going to paint my wheels satin black so I don't really want a gloss finish. Is there another alternative to clearcoat for mattish finish? Or should I just spray 2 thin layers of clearcoat?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R,EGB18C7
    Dry sand it first
    Wet sand it down till smooth and original paint is gone
    Give it 2 to 3 coats of paint
    Then 1 coat of clear coat
    Did it on mine turned out like a Matt colour

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    No need to dry sand first, you can just start wet sanding it if you want to do it yourself.

You don't need to sand the original colour off completely, just make sure it's matte and that the primer will stick.

Few coats of primer, sand it back again until it's smooth (use up to 1200 grit wet sanding), then a few coats of colour and a few coats of clear and you're done.
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend