Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic EK1 VTi

Civic EK VTi CVT Gearbox Problem

My CVT gearbox makes whining noises when I put it on reverse, and I got it checked up in a transmission shop. They say the bearing is worn and it will cost me $4k to get it fixed up. My friend suggested that I should just convert the EK into manual, since it's cheaper. My other friend told me I might as well swap my D16Y5 engine into a B16A.

I need more input from you guys, which option should I pick?
    1. Fix the CVT
    2. Manual conversion
    3. Manual conversion + engine swap

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    even a 2nd hand cvt gearbox will cost you about 1k + installation

Cheapest option would be a manual conversion.
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    Eks come with CVT transmissions? Damn!
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

is it bad when when it whine?or is it normal???i have the same whine in my vti...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic EK1 VTi
    @grifty: I'm thinking of that too, but is it worth doing an engine upgrade as well as manual conversion?
    @EG52NV: Yes, EK is the first Honda to have CVT gearbox installed iirc.
    @po61ba2: It's just telling you that its bearing is starting to wear out, and it willeventually lead to the death of your gearbox if you keep driving with it. You should bring it to an auto tranny shop to get it checked up. Btw, what's your car's kms?

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    Its really up to you if you want to do the engine upgrade. If you feel that you current engine is not enough for you then upgrade.

If you do then engine upgrade yourself then it should cost around the $3000 mark.
    OEM parts whore

I have 159k in the car.i know someone has the same car(vti) newer model (facelifted) near same km's and does the same thing for 2 years now but still goin...

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    it is normal for honda CVT to whine in revers

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic EK1 VTi
    I took out the civic on a cold day and when I started it up the gearbox shudders for 1-2 minutes, is that also normal? And I also noticed theres a little delay for the gearbox to get into D.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    check your fluid level and quality for the CVT

they are not ment to shudder under normal conditions. however if the start clutch is failing or worn then you may feel a shudder, also the delay in selecting D could be low fluid level.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic EK1 VTi
    Ah I see I'll check it later when I get home. Btw does my car need Honda Tranny oil? Cause last time I got the tranny oil changed the mechanic used a non Honda brand.

I have search about the tranny fluid..every1 reckon we need to use oem fluid...recommended to change every 20k to 40k