Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EK1

Quick Question about mini me conversion.

Hey guys!

just a very quick question,

in a mini me conversion from a d16y1 head on a d16y4 block, is the throttle body and the fuel injectors from the y1 essential to complete the build? or can I just use the ones from the y4?

Thanks guys
    "HONDA = Hold On Not Done Accelerating."

Member Array
    Car:
    smashed crx =]
    pretty sure it isnt essential...as there both 1.6 most likely would be injecting same amounts... im not 100% but from what i read it doesnt matter

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Thankyou Najdi!

can i please get some more answers?

thanks guys!

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    throttle body size for pretty much all D series is the same - NFI about the injectors though
    just go with whichever set is in the better condition =p
    the Y1 intake manifold is the better of the 2 as well

which OBD are u using for the mini-me?
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Hey TheSaint!

oh thats good then, because i picked up the y1 and it basically came with everything just without the ecu, injectors and tb for 80 dollars

and il be using a p28 ecu with a obd2-obd1 conversion harness.

so all i gotta do is get the head machined, get the ecu, loom, head gasket and yeah installing it

il be boosting later on down the track too, hence why i am doing this conversion just to also see the condition of my engine.

Obviously there are other things i need to look into like injectors fuel pump blah blah for turbo but thats for next year to worry about

thanks TheSaint, il be doing this conversion very soon!

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    man thats cheap! - i would so do the conversion if i could pick up a head that cheap

what machining are u getting done to it?

i wouldnt mill the head if you are going to turbo latter on - high compression is good for n/a - not so much for boost

but than again - D's love high compression lol

are you doing anything about valve springs or cam?
    dont worry about retainers - oem honda are rated incredibly high

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    lol yeah i was going to do a b-series conversion .. but everyone does it .. lol its the easy way out of things :P

hmmm to be quite honest, im not very good with the technical side of engines, but i have been learning quite abit about it

I know that d-series love high compression but i guess id leave the internals stock since if i go high comp with boost, it would be pushing it :P

man, im not going for high numbers or anything, since my car is a daily driven car so i just want the low end torque that boost offers

may i ask how is your d series build? lol id love to go n/a but i have no guidance since i know alot of people would boost d-series over keeping it n/a.

like ive been tempted to do a port and polish, bigger tb with maybe a stage 1 cam .. mmm bisi i wish lol no doubt il be using the y1 intake manifold.

Man if you can actually talk to me about keeping an d16 n/a you might just convince me to not boost :P im over b series conversions. To be honest, im only doing the single cam jam because of being different, and i bet you get so much credit for what you have done!

so yes im here with open ears, ready to learn ey lol

Kj.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    i pretty much did my d-series for the same reason - i wanted something different - more of a challenge

it would be hard for me to advise you either way - boost and n/a are both good for the D

personally i would track down a JRSC kit - supercharged D's are amazing

i would also be looking at getting a hondata intake manifold gasket for when you put it all together

for n/a TB isnt important for D - you will struggle to get better performance than what the stock unit will provide - the only time to go bigger is if you are going to boost

have you had a flick through my build thread?

hers a quick list on what i would do

Boost
    - minime conversion
    - hondata intake manifold gasket
    - bisimoto turbo cam
    - skunk2 cam gear
    - port and polish
    - turbo kit
    - injectors
    - adjustable FPR
    - bigger TB

N/A
    - minime conversion
    - bisimoto stage2 cam
    - hondata intake manifold gasket
    - skunk2 cam gear
    - 4-2-1 header
    - intake kit
    - port and polish
    - mill head for higher comp

the skies the limit really

are you on d-series.org?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Wow man, you know your stuff!

lol .. d-series.org .. im on there but hardly the case now

you do come across really rough people if you ask questions that they may consider as too noob.

and im just really lucky to happen to bump into you since HARDLY ANYONE in comparison to b series boys that rock the sohc

ok hmm those lists sound good and easy to understand JRSC? goddamn that would be good haha

but ok .. so which is out the 3 builds ..the most cheapest? the most effective?

obviously the boost would get the most power but thats not what im really after .. reliability is also key since my car is a daily driven car

n/a looks promising, but how is the difference and is it worth the money spent?

Thanks alot man! you are really helping me heaps! mmm bisimoto cams haha

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    the best balance and most reliable would be the JRSC

it gives great drivability because of the instant torque on-tap - so it makes daily driving really easy

its most likely the cheapest as well - i know the kits go for around $1k and there arnt many around - but its a single bolt on application and you wont have to bother with cams or milling the head - just a good port and polish and ur good

add in a nice intake kit, some headers and an exhaust and you will have one hella nice to drive ride

not to mention ur car will prob be one of the only JRSC mini-me's in australia lol

im pretty sure mines the only one in australia with the combination that i have =p

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    ps - im moving this to the civic section as its a bit advanced for noob

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Wow like man i read up on your build and that really takes guts and determination!

I'm like you, work with what you got, be different and that's how you stand out.

As a result, you learn so much more about engines and engine building etc. I am willing to learn!

lol well ok atm, ive got 4-2-1 Genie Headers .. mmm my exhaust is way too big and loud! ive got 2.5 buddyclub spec 3 exhaust with a 3 inch megan racing tip.. no go for n/a my mate said that exhaust system is good for boost.

JRSC im actually interested now! so a port polish will do? im planning to also make up a short ram intake system with a heatshield, also fed by a pipe which comes from the front bumper! where the fogs usually go lol. I had that setup before but it was done cheaply .. so i took it off.

i got a quote off my mate 500 for a port and polish is that a good price? so where can i find JRSC from?

mate, it sounds like the PERFECT solution for me! low end torque, nice high reving sound of vtec on top

so your saying that .. port and polish, good intake system .. is all i need for now before supercharging?

btw, thankyou for your patience! I have so much respect for you because of your build