Member Array
    Car:
    vtack+non-vtak

restoring gear shifter feel

i was wondering if theres any bushes or any regreasing of the gear shifter in a manual car that can be replaced to give the stick feeling like its brand new as much as possible without having to get a brand new gearbox. Its sorta irritated me that with my written off euro the gearstick was so crisp and felt smooth and sensational. this new euro i have the gear shifter feels a bit more worn which is normal due to the higher mileage this replacement euro has.

just wondering if anyone knows how to get about this. i am partially thinking of shifter bushes to replace (if there is any) and regreasing ball part of the shifter. is there anything else i can possible do?

Help is much appreciated.
    thanks.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    Replace shift link bushes
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

If it feels loose, it might also help to make sure the shifter cables are tightened. Helped with mine in terms of vertical movement in the knob.

Take off the center console and check if the cables have any slack in them, and if they do tighten the screws on the cable.
    [2008-2009] 1994 Honda Prelude VTiR
    [2009-2011] 1991 Honda Prelude Si-4WS
    [2011-2012] 2000 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 6.5 TME (JDM)
    [2012-current] 2002 Mazda MX-5

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK B18c
    Replacing shifter bushes makes a huge difference. Consider getting polyurethane ones. I recently got some for mine and they're great. Really firms up the shifter feel. They're really cheap of ebay too. Energy suspension do them: http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...p?prod=16.1101

Member Array
    Car:
    vtack+non-vtak
    having a good look at the moment, i dont like the wriggle play my gearstick has at the moment but its bearable i suppose compared to other manual sticks.
    the thing is- i havent found the shifter bushes for a k24 or acura tsx. had a look on that site i hear greating things for the bushings energy suspensions produce but cant seem to find one that will fit my car :S

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    cable driven, if anything it'd be down to the shift box for feel

Member Array
    Car:
    91 ED Hatch
    +1

There are plastic bushes in the shifter box. The energy bushes are for older rod shifted boxes. Grease/replace these and check cable tension.
    ::Street Level::