Pairing coilovers with shock+spring combo

Has anyone ever paired rear or front coilovers with opposing end shock+springs?
    E.g Rear coilovers front shock and spring combo.
    Bad idea?
    If yes why?
    Straight lines love fast cars. Hard corners love fast drivers.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    If the shock and spring lengths are the same i dont see why not, but why might i ask? theres a reason why most company only specify use on "fronts only"
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

I bought a nice pair of second hand coilovers. Tanabe Sustec Pro 7. They are really stiff and make alot of noise, but however make up for the turns. Cornering is very stable and sharp. But Sydney roads are shit. Driving to work and around my work place my car clunks and moans, Im worried the stiffness+bumps will wreck something. So Im thinking about buying front Koni adjustable yellows, with tein S springs for daily and whenever there's a motoring event on I'll swap it back over.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Yeah I've done it. I ran Fulcrum coils at the front (honestly a coilover isn't so different to shock/spring) and Skunk2 Pro S at the rear. Was also running Pedders shocks + King springs at the front beforehand.

If your car feels stiff then take off the REAR coilovers. That's where you get the stiffness and discomfort.

I know this because I put my Skunk2 Pro S on my Civic on the rear and drove for several weeks before doing the fronts. Fronts made no difference to feeling, rears were tough as.
    I also did my brother's Cusco Comp S front coilovers first because I didn't realise the rears were JDM and I had no JDM LCAs for his DC4 Integra. Front coilovers seemed to make no difference but once we got the rears on it was very stiff.

So, in short, it's not a problem to run different setups front/back. And the rear suspension is what makes it feel stiff/uncomfortable/handle well.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    Yeah I've done it. I ran Fulcrum coils at the front (honestly a coilover isn't so different to shock/spring) and Skunk2 Pro S at the rear. Was also running Pedders shocks + King springs at the front beforehand.

If your car feels stiff then take off the REAR coilovers. That's where you get the stiffness and discomfort.

I know this because I put my Skunk2 Pro S on my Civic on the rear and drove for several weeks before doing the fronts. Fronts made no difference to feeling, rears were tough as.
    I also did my brother's Cusco Comp S front coilovers first because I didn't realise the rears were JDM and I had no JDM LCAs for his DC4 Integra. Front coilovers seemed to make no difference but once we got the rears on it was very stiff.

So, in short, it's not a problem to run different setups front/back. And the rear suspension is what makes it feel stiff/uncomfortable/handle well.
    I think he means as in running the rears at the fronts an vice versa, correct if im wrong
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    the problem is that its incorrect spring rates, the fronts are heaver to combat the weight shifted under hard braking and cornering, hence why its a bad idea to run soft spring rates at the fronts an vice versa, thats why u will see the spring rates at the fronts aways stiffer than the rears, hence F12 R8

But thats not to say its wrong, i see a few drifters run stiffer rear to allow for more over steer
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Nah I'm pretty sure he's talking about getting Koni shocks + Tein springs for the front of the car so it's less stiff for daily driving, then swapping back over the Tanabe Sustec for events.

Would help if OP came back online to check his thread, but I guess he's not like me just sitting here waiting for my study to do itself.
    <refresh><refresh><refresh><refresh><refresh><refr esh><refresh><refresh><refresh><refresh>
    Last edited by dougie_504; 19-05-2011 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mugen_ctr View Post
    the problem is that its incorrect spring rates, the fronts are heaver to combat the weight shifted under hard braking and cornering, hence why its a bad idea to run soft spring rates at the fronts an vice versa, thats why u will see the spring rates at the fronts aways stiffer than the rears, hence F12 R8

But thats not to say its wrong, i see a few drifters run stiffer rear to allow for more over steer
    This is a myth. The only way you can change the magnitude of the load transfer under braking is by reducing the centre of gravity height, increasing the wheelbase, or reducing the total mass of the car.

You obviously need enough front spring so that you don't bottom out on that first stomp.

I've been running stiffer spring rates at the rear for years. It kicks butt.
    I have signatures turned off

Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    Nah I'm pretty sure he's talking about getting Koni shocks + Tein springs for the front of the car so it's less stiff for daily driving, then swapping back over the Tanabe Sustec for events.

Would help if OP came back online to check his thread, but I guess he's not like me just sitting here waiting for my study to do itself.
    <refresh><refresh><refresh><refresh><refresh><refr esh><refresh><refresh><refresh><refresh>
    Yea thats the gist of what im trying to do and yes Ive been looking at so many search engines and forums.
    Thanks for all the inupt so far gents.
    Just to reiterate, I have tanabe sustec pro 7 coilovers. I bought them off a man who was parting out his track car. So they are fairly new. Only seen 300kms of track he says. And by his history on forums that seems believable. These coilovers are so stiff and bumpy. The make alot of noise at the fronts, the smallest aleration of the roads surface makes my car creak, moan, shake. And all the noise is primarily coming from the front not back [there is slight noise though]. Inaddition to South West Sydney roads being shit, I am worried the stiffness of my car will force another aging part to wear out faster. So I asking if it is ok to remove my front tanabes but keep the rears and replace them with a koni shock and tein spring combo.

How does rear stiffness make noises at the front mugen_ctr? The rear are height and damper adjustable, the front arent. And I have the backs at 2 finger gap height from the wheel and damper on softest.

Anyone?

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    In my honest opinion just get stock sh!t and put the Tanabes on for track days lol. If you want something lower/stiffer than OEM suspension, but that won't make noise or wear out any other components or make the ride uncomfortable...then you're in for a lot of trial and error IMO.

Member Array
    Car:
    eg sedan
    my friend was running koni/lovells setup at the front and d2 coilovers in the rear on his dc2. could really feel that the front was alot softer, it felt weird when just driving it around normally haha.