Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra Type R JDM

engine treatments, should i?

hi guys,

my type r just clicked over 170k, still runs and goes great cant fault it at all, however im starting to wonder whats inside it shuold i be doing an engine flush? is there any gains to doing it, the way i see it, it is removing the necessary film of oil that coats the pistons and the cylinder walls, and that is necessary.

i service it every 5,000 without fail everytime. i have toda timing belt around 70k old ( i assume)

any feedback on things i shuld be replacing, should be looking at is helpful.
    jdmEG5: Will u take 2 ounces of weed +$500 your way? I'm not kidding.

Speed is a matter of money... How fast can you AFFORD to go?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    If everything has been done at the proper intervals all should be fine.

Dare say your injectors could do with a proper clean, service and flow check to make sure they are spraying as they should be and even.

Banned Array
    Car:
    [|-|]
    You should never use engine treatments..especially on engines like type r engines. Yes it's good in the sense that it gets rid of metal debris n stuff from your engine due to wear but can also get into places like your journals which can affect your clearances.

I just use cheap oil - go around the block - drain that then use good oil.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    Quote Originally Posted by egb16b View Post
    You should never use engine treatments..especially on engines like type r engines. Yes it's good in the sense that it gets rid of metal debris n stuff from your engine due to wear but can also get into places like your journals which can affect your clearances.

I just use cheap oil - go around the block - drain that then use good oil.

totally agree with egb16b, dont trust that shit , sometimes engine flush makes shit worst.
    B-serious m8

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Just use a good oil. Nulon, Royal Purple etc and you'll be fine.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra Type R JDM
    yeah ok excellent, i usually use mobil 1. 10/40, only oil it likes :P
    jdmEG5: Will u take 2 ounces of weed +$500 your way? I'm not kidding.

Speed is a matter of money... How fast can you AFFORD to go?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    ?MDJ
    I've heard that engine flushe liquids can ruin your gaskets aswell...

Anyone know about the effects of injector cleaner?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, S15
    Quote Originally Posted by h2cker2 View Post
    I've heard that engine flushe liquids can ruin your gaskets aswell...

Anyone know about the effects of injector cleaner?
    some of the stronger injector cleaners can eat your fuel lines and will end up costing you a lot. there is a strong cleaner that u hook up to your fuel rail and goes straight to your injectors ect.
    best to get them flow tested then if need be, get them cleaned professionally at an EFI mechanic.
    snapping 2nd..

Member Array
    Car:
    Poo-goat 307
    Seafoam the engine.

Member Array
    Car:
    99 DC2 VTi-R
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexplicit View Post
    hi guys,

my type r just clicked over 170k, still runs and goes great cant fault it at all, however im starting to wonder whats inside it shuold i be doing an engine flush? is there any gains to doing it, the way i see it, it is removing the necessary film of oil that coats the pistons and the cylinder walls, and that is necessary.

i service it every 5,000 without fail everytime. i have toda timing belt around 70k old ( i assume)

any feedback on things i shuld be replacing, should be looking at is helpful.
    same as you, mine has hit 170k
    still runs fine... like yours.

on top of my 5k services & 30k transmission services, just as a minor precaution, every 1000 km i put 100 ml of injector cleaner and every 2500km i use a bottle of octane booster (which is 500ml)
    only for piece of mind.

im more worried about my gear box falling apart before my engine... besides quality oils theres only so much you can do to ensure its longetivity

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Yeah I agree with ^

Just good oils for engine and tranny, occasional injector cleaner (made my CRX run lots better post head-build) and driving it nicely IE keep to 3,000RPM or below when it's cold, shift at maybe 8,000RPM instead of 8,200-8,400 when you're having a squirt etc