Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaixen Xenon View Post
    The Philips kit is fake.
    Pair of Genuine Philips D2C bulbs cost around $150 and this whole kit is $150 including shipping?
    I dont' even think a Genuine philips kit that looks like that is produced anymore..
    I'll do more research, so should you
    Oh now that you mention it, it does seem fake. I initially thought they were an older model (hence they are cheap) and since they are from Germany with lots of good feedback I didn't think about it.

Also I got it mixed up with another auction and I thought the link I posted had the authenticity codes but it doesn't which screams fake. Can the authenticity codes be faked?

Thanks for your help, how much would one of your Kaixen kits costs? (including shipping to NZ)

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 03
    Quote Originally Posted by I CU2 View Post
    Doesn't putting aftermarket HID's into your car make it unworthy anyway ;p.
    Yer it does but from what ive figured out the police dont really care to much. Harder to tell if our cars come with stock HID's just dont get any higher the 6k because it becomes alot more blue

Quote Originally Posted by Kevl View Post
    Oh now that you mention it, it does seem fake. I initially thought they were an older model (hence they are cheap) and since they are from Germany with lots of good feedback I didn't think about it.

Also I got it mixed up with another auction and I thought the link I posted had the authenticity codes but it doesn't which screams fake. Can the authenticity codes be faked?

Thanks for your help, how much would one of your Kaixen kits costs? (including shipping to NZ)
    Standard kits are $195 on special, including express posted within Australia
    Shipping to NZ is just an additional $17
    please check your pm.

I bought a 6000k HID set from DealExtreme about a year ago for $50... Haven't had a single issue with it - works well, police don't pay any attention to it, and it doesn't glare. I do a lot of nighttime highway driving and have never been flashed.

Don't see any reason to pay any more than this.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by marquee View Post
    Yer it does but from what ive figured out the police dont really care to much. Harder to tell if our cars come with stock HID's just dont get any higher the 6k because it becomes alot more blue
    Yea it is illegal in NZ as well but police don't really stop people for them. However, not sure if you guys have something similar in Australia but we have to get our cars checked every year or 6 months depending on the age and many places will fail you if you have an HID kit which is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaixen Xenon View Post
    Standard kits are $195 on special, including express posted within Australia
    Shipping to NZ is just an additional $17
    please check your pm.
    Done

Quote Originally Posted by seanneko View Post
    I bought a 6000k HID set from DealExtreme about a year ago for $50... Haven't had a single issue with it - works well, police don't pay any attention to it, and it doesn't glare. I do a lot of nighttime highway driving and have never been flashed.

Don't see any reason to pay any more than this.
    Did you install yourself? Yea I would say a majority of people go for the cheaper kits.

What size bulb is it? H11 right?

Member Array
    Car:
    Try hard CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by I CU2 View Post
    Doesn't putting aftermarket HID's into your car make it unworthy anyway ;p.
    Yep thats correct... unless you have Headlight Auto-Levels and Head light washers... your newly installed HIDs are not ADR Approved and your car is deemed to be unroadworthy...
    XpLoDiN
    AKA Johnno

[Melb] Team Y.C.D - The Dim Sum Revolution!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by stonx View Post
    What size bulb is it? H11 right?
    Isn't it H1?

Quote Originally Posted by Xplodin View Post
    Yep thats correct... unless you have Headlight Auto-Levels and Head light washers... your newly installed HIDs are not ADR Approved and your car is deemed to be unroadworthy...
    Don't need to have auto levelers in NZ but HIDs still illegal

Member Array
    Car:
    07' CL9 Lux 5AT
    Quote Originally Posted by Xplodin View Post
    Even with the auto-levelers and washers installed with an aftermarket HID kit, the beam pattern would still be incorrect for HIDs, thus making them illegal in Aus.

A standard ECE (or ADR) halogen beam pattern looks like this (in LHD countries):

A standard ECE HID beam pattern looks like this (also LHD):

As you can see, the halogen beam pattern has the two 'ticks' which projects the light upwards, which could cause glare for other drivers coming towards on your right (in LHD countries), or left (in RHD countries). Whilst the glare is on the side of the road with no oncoming traffic, it could still be an issue when going round corners, etc. Since HIDs are a lot brighter than halogen bulbs (and hence glare is much more dangerous), they've restricted the amount of light that can be thrown upwards. Hence the 'ticks' in the halogen pattern have been replaced with 'steps' which throw less light upwards, and the horizontal cutoff line is lowered on the side with oncoming traffic.

Personally, the auto-levelling and head light washers do 2/5ths of f-all in terms of reducing glare - I believe that 90% of it is in the beam pattern! With that said, at least we have projector headlights on our cars, maintains a decent beam pattern when converting from halogen to HID, even if the change in filament/arc position on the bulb has shifted (which could result in other problems such as a narrow spread of light, etc.). On cars with reflector headlights, the beam pattern goes to absolute sh*t and winds up glaring everybody!

It may actually be possible to swap a HID projector into the halogen headlight without too much hassle and run D2S bulbs which would give you a correct beam pattern. However that's a lot of money and effort! Personally, if legality wasn't an issue, I'd throw in a H1 kit, aim the lights down a little and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevl View Post
    Ah thanks, exactly what I wanted to know! (people's experiences)

Because you drilled a whole (or left the cover off) has any moisture or dust built up in your headlight?

From what you have said I am seriously thinking about the Philips globes now as they are cheaper (on eBay) and way easier to install.
    I am using crystal vision (4300k) for my euro, its pretty okay but its no where as bright as a HID and not as bright as those with say philips vision plus (3500k) (claim to be 50% brighter then normal bulbs). If a car with either HID or a vision plus is beside/behind you, you wouldnt be able to see your own headlights anymore, but its still there as if you switch it off the whole road in front will be a lot darker. Resson is you dont see the day light spectrum of 4300k so easilly compare to the yellow throw of a 3500k spectrum.

I retain the highbeam as stock cause in a foggy condition, you wouldnt be able to see shit with the crystal vision headlight so the yellow 3500k will help you out.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by tron07 View Post
    I am using crystal vision (4300k) for my euro, its pretty okay but its no where as bright as a HID and not as bright as those with say philips vision plus (3500k) (claim to be 50% brighter then normal bulbs). If a car with either HID or a vision plus is beside/behind you, you wouldnt be able to see your own headlights anymore, but its still there as if you switch it off the whole road in front will be a lot darker. Resson is you dont see the day light spectrum of 4300k so easilly compare to the yellow throw of a 3500k spectrum.

I retain the highbeam as stock cause in a foggy condition, you wouldnt be able to see shit with the crystal vision headlight so the yellow 3500k will help you out.
    Oh ok, so the Philips Crystal Visions are significantly less bright than the stock globes?