Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209

Double wishbone vs MacPherson strut.

I'm interested in this topic. I've done a bit of research and I've found this info to be of some use:

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/bl...-i-basics.html
    http://www.team-integra.net/forum/bl...-compared.html
    http://www.rapid-racer.com/suspension.php

What are your views on this topic?

Mike
    Last edited by Mikecivic78; 31-03-2011 at 08:54 PM.
    くまくま━━━━━━ヽ( ・(ェ)・ )ノ━━━━━━ !!

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1, AP1
    doublewishbone ---> macpherson strut. i wish the ep3 dc5 came with double wishbone at the front, i believe that its a superior suspension setup. but then again the new fd2r has the same suspension setup and its tearing r34gtr and rx7 at suzuka curcuits. i guess to make use of macpherson strut you must go great lengths into tuning to be able to make it shine.

My understanding is that double wishbone is good for maintaining camber angle through heavy cornering due to multiple mounting points making it very rigid. Macpherson has less componants which means its more light weight and more comfortable.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    Most production cars use MacPherson struts. It's cheaper and more space-saving for manufacturers to do this. EK/EG/DC all have double wishbone. Props to Honda for not cheaping out.

Double wishbone is more complicated/expensive and is used in racing cars, incl. F1.
    Last edited by Mikecivic78; 31-03-2011 at 08:54 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    Quote Originally Posted by vtecing View Post
    My understanding is that double wishbone is good for maintaining camber angle through heavy cornering due to multiple mounting points making it very rigid. Macpherson has less componants which means its more light weight and more comfortable.
    That's a good basic summary of some true points.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    double wish bone = much better suspension geometry, on the track and for normal everyday driving
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1, AP1
    yeah suspension geometry is probably the main thing, lowering a car with macpherson struts can be detrimental on ride quality and handling due to the tie rod end position.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ght=suspension

The 90's were Honda's glory day, producing double wishbone on most models where all other manufacturers were already cheaping out on the struts.

this is massive generalisation though.
    Last edited by Bludger; 31-03-2011 at 11:18 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    Yep as above, unequal length double wishbone as used on the front of most 90s Hondas is superior in just about every respect except for cost, complexity and space efficiency. It doesn't help that the DC5 and it's variants have one of the worst McPherson strut designs around with terrible bump steer and various other issues. Many of these problems have been at least partially corrected by Honda on more recent cars such as the FD2R.

> The 90's were Honda's glory day, producing double wishbone on most models where all other manufacturers were already cheaping out on the struts.

Mr Honda was still alive and designing cars.

Sadly, the bean counters have taken over.
    Last edited by nd55; 03-06-2011 at 07:14 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    Soichiro Honda died in 1991, so he wasn't really around in the 90s.

Member Array
    Car:
    5th Gen Prelude
    Sounds like the perfect opportunity to say... Shut Up!