Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

JDM EP3 Civic Type R

What do you guys think of the JDM Honda Civic Type R EP3. Worth the 20k?

I know it does something like 158kw. revs like a beast. exterior design is a fail. upside stock recaro buckets
    seen the vid on youtube of top gear comparing the newer CTRs and they all say the ep3 is shitloads better
    especially in power to weight ratio and handling (independent rear suspension).

some specs:

Engine: DOHC i-Vtec K20a 2.0l 4 cyl
    Displacement: 1998cc
    Power: 215ps 212bph @8000rpm (158kw) 0-60mph 6.6s
    Torque: 202nm @7000rpm
    FWD Lsd gear box short throw shift
    Brakes: front-vent disc, rear-solic disc
    weight: 1210kg

its a 2001 model preface lift. on sale for 21k carsales. LINK: http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...1622&silo=1011
    if you have time what are some possible mods (I/H/E brand specific)

Member Array
    Car:
    Vonda R
    well how else could they have designed it? uk/jap did their best to rework the whole car if you compared it to the eu. I would say the design on the fn2 was fail when your looking at the rear half of the car.
    Jeremy clarkson is old. old people dont like hugging bucket seats. when you take it around the track you need higher bolsters which the fn2r has and the ep doesnt. what if you had to drive 2 people the buckets from the fn would be far useful in reclining forward automatically, easy access thats how we like it.

power wise you'd get 130 at max for a stock run at the wheels, even with mods like a intake and catback it'll only get you a max of 7kw. possible mods? injen,gruppe m, fujita, diy 3a pod,mugen, fujitsubo, toda, js racing, spoon, juns and many more. heres my thoughts on the car, it looks good stands out from the crowd of dc5rs and fn2rs, i like the exterior its nice and innovative for its time. sure does rev like a beast ask supersteve or luke with the haltechs, worth the money if only they capped how many could be brought into australia its be worth more.
    SPAM|WERKS
    got you covered with a johnoroll

Legacy7, welcome and good to see you took my advice on ns.com

Personally I'd go test drive one and decide from there. Ask all your questions at the dealer and go on the hunt for one privately. That's what I did anyway. I was lucky enough to come across a like minded car enthusiast/car dealer. Who was very honest. He told me all the things to look out for on the EP.

I really like it atm. I will def go test drive. I live in Bris and the only ones I can find that are decent are dealers. I dont want to wait around cause i need a car asap too for work and uni. Tell me what is good I/H/E brand specific: e.g hks exhaust featured hi-power or gruppe m intake. not just the brands but the parts aswell and what should i look out for when trying to find the ep3r? I heard a lot of people found their ep3rs without rear speakers cause some idiots think it will reduce weight and increase track times. i mean hell it would but by what? 0.1 sec?

Member Array
    Car:
    Vonda R
    well im running gruppe m, what i liked about it at first was the sound and looks but after awhile it seemed to have lost the grunty sound either that or my exhaust is too loud. mods ive got are just the m intake and fujitsubo rm01a exhaust. injen is definitely bang for buck but you'll need to cut a hole for it. Ive had a look at my rears and theres nothing there but plastic covering it up, seems honda never placed any rear speakers only front gathers one.

you could probably haggle down to 17-18 with the dealer.
    SPAM|WERKS

Member Array
    Car:
    Ohthatsit
    All JDM EP3 don't have HU and speakers from factory. If u have them they were either dealer fitted gathers or aftermarket.

If u are looking for features and luxury in your type r then maybe look at the FN2 instead.

Also I would not touch any dealers ep3 up here. I have yet to see a decent car.....
    Last edited by Philip Lee; 26-05-2011 at 07:44 AM.
    GD3 -> EP3 -> RB3

FS Rays nuts etc

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    well how else could they have designed it? uk/jap did their best to rework the whole car if you compared it to the eu. I would say the design on the fn2 was fail when your looking at the rear half of the car.
    Jeremy clarkson is old. old people dont like hugging bucket seats. when you take it around the track you need higher bolsters which the fn2r has and the ep doesnt. what if you had to drive 2 people the buckets from the fn would be far useful in reclining forward automatically, easy access thats how we like it.

power wise you'd get 130 at max for a stock run at the wheels, even with mods like a intake and catback it'll only get you a max of 7kw. possible mods? injen,gruppe m, fujita, diy 3a pod,mugen, fujitsubo, toda, js racing, spoon, juns and many more. heres my thoughts on the car, it looks good stands out from the crowd of dc5rs and fn2rs, i like the exterior its nice and innovative for its time. sure does rev like a beast ask supersteve or luke with the haltechs, worth the money if only they capped how many could be brought into australia its be worth more.
    LOL your exactly right. The fn2 is a gigantic fail not just in exterior design, but everything about it, look at the wing that goes right across the rear window, man what was he thinking lol. thanks for your opinion, what do you recommend I/H/E brand specific e.g gruppe m intake, hks exhaust, toda headers? and suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    well im running gruppe m, what i liked about it at first was the sound and looks but after awhile it seemed to have lost the grunty sound either that or my exhaust is too loud. mods ive got are just the m intake and fujitsubo rm01a exhaust. injen is definitely bang for buck but you'll need to cut a hole for it. Ive had a look at my rears and theres nothing there but plastic covering it up, seems honda never placed any rear speakers only front gathers one.

you could probably haggle down to 17-18 with the dealer.
    I youtubed the rm01a exhaust, I liked the HKS over it though. do you think its a good idea to go HKS though? (that is if i buy an ep3)

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Lee View Post
    All JDM EP3 don't have HU and speakers from factory. If u have them they were either dealer fitted gathers or aftermarket.

If u are looking for features and luxury in your type r then maybe look at the FN2 instead.

Also I would not touch any dealers ep3 up here. I have yet to see a decent car.....
    why do you say that? personal experience? I really just dont know about importing, I dont like the idea of not seeing it infront of me. Could be just paranoid.
    I havent even gone to test drive so I will decide if dealers are dodgy after I do go.

Just a thought - a ep3 is basically a facelifted version of a ek4 honda civic. Quick , comfortable and climate control. But not earth shattering fast. Great throwable chassis.

Member Array
    Car:
    Ohthatsit
    Quote Originally Posted by Legacy7 View Post
    why do you say that? personal experience? I really just dont know about importing, I dont like the idea of not seeing it infront of me. Could be just paranoid.
    I havent even gone to test drive so I will decide if dealers are dodgy after I do go.
    i have seen a few dealers cars up here in the past 4 years. maybe my expectation is too high but i wouldn't pay $$ for any of those, no matter how cheap. but maybe you will get lucky and find a good one.

alternatively you can buy registered cars here. but be prepared to travel as choice is very limited in Brisbane.
    GD3 -> EP3 -> RB3

FS Rays nuts etc

Member Array
    Car:
    Vonda R
    Nah I wouldn't touch the hks well thats just me, I was very picky when it came to choosing an exhaust. the js racing one and toda look alike but they were just too loud for my likings. then there was the fujitsubo and mugen twinloop both were quiet exhausts, bought the rm because jdmyard was doing a sale last year. if you like some noise on crossover and a quiet tone best to go with mugen or fujitsubo.
    SPAM|WERKS