Thread: Scratch repair

Scratch repair

Well last night backed outta my driveway and wasnt paying much attention and i scratched the mailbox
    HUGE SCRATCH

I went to supercheap auto today, bought some scratch remover and rubbed it onto the scratches.
    Did a bit but not much. I asked for some touch up paint but they didn't have my paint code.
    =='

Any tips in how to fill in the scratches? and how to paint it back up? I heard a toothpick is a good method.

pics below. The bottom scratch is probably the deepest.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Does it go all the way through the clear/paint? Can you feel a distinct scratch with your fingernail or does it still feel smoothe?

I'd consider a stiff polish (semi-abrasive) like Sonax or even a cutting compound.

What scratch remover did you use?

Touch-up paint can be bought at any automotive paint shop. Open your driver's door and look at the sticker on the plackard and you'll see what the paint code is. It's not too expensive and a panel beater can probably fix that up for $100-200. But I'd try to buff it out first if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    Does it go all the way through the clear/paint? Can you feel a distinct scratch with your fingernail or does it still feel smoothe?

I'd consider a stiff polish (semi-abrasive) like Sonax or even a cutting compound.

What scratch remover did you use?

Touch-up paint can be bought at any automotive paint shop. Open your driver's door and look at the sticker on the plackard and you'll see what the paint code is. It's not too expensive and a panel beater can probably fix that up for $100-200. But I'd try to buff it out first if you can.
    I used scratch X and put that on.

Yeah I've got the paint code but the scratches arent smooth. their decently deep

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    it doesnt look like it goes to the metal - so thats a bonus
    i would say you could get most of them out with a scratch removal product and very little touch up paint
    the problem is finding a good quality product that is usable with metallic paint

i would have suggested Autoglym Paint Renovator - but afaik its not compatible with metallics
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Quote Originally Posted by TheSaint View Post
    it doesnt look like it goes to the metal - so thats a bonus
    i would say you could get most of them out with a scratch removal product and very little touch up paint
    the problem is finding a good quality product that is usable with metallic paint

i would have suggested Autoglym Paint Renovator - but afaik its not compatible with metallics
    How would i fill up the grooves where the scratches are?

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3
    Dude, by the looks of it, no scratch remover will fix that. Need to paint it dude! The depth of you pocket will decide on how well this is done!

^Autoglym paint renovator doesn't work on metallics? It works miracles on getting rid of spoiler/sticker marks as far as i've seen

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    Two words: panel respray.

Also, get the bumper blended. Get a few quotes from different panel beaters.

That, or just live with it.
    くまくま━━━━━━ヽ( ・(ェ)・ )ノ━━━━━━ !!

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5, ITR, EK4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikecivic78 View Post
    Two words: panel respray.

Also, get the bumper blended. Get a few quotes from different panel beaters.

That, or just live with it.
    panel respray +1 for mikecivic78
    When VTEC kicks in.. It's like having a..... You know the rest!!!!!!!
    ..<o>
    .... \__
    ...../\.....sup?