Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Intake tube gone BROWN after degreasing engine bay!

So i sprayed my engine bay with a hose, degreased it, hosed it again... took it for a drive. Then i popped the hood and WTF my intake tube is now a light browny colour (kinda of like wet sand)... Also smells like burnt shit in there. What have i done?! Help please

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    what material is the intake tube made out of and what kind of degreaser did you use?

also - did you let the car dry off before you started it?

and did you cover the alternator, dizzy and battery before spraying water in there?
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Member Array
    Car:
    eg5
    Is the intake tube alluminium/polished or something? That would be surface rust.

I dont think your meant to hose your engine bay first before degreasing.
    Always cover important bits like distributor intake and electrics before spraying degreaser.

Umm... intake toob i think it's rubber? iono it was black before.

Used some $2 degreaser from supercheap. Red spray can

No i didn't let it dry before i started engine. My thinking was along the lines of 'start engine = hot... hot = dry water'

Did cover some random stuff with aluminium foil... dizzy, spark plugs, intake, battery. When i was trying to cover the battery, it started sparking and shit lol i think i let the foil touch both pos and neg terminals.

When i did some reading up beforehand, it said to hose first.

Was a hectic moment when i went to start the car after i finished... was like 99% sure it wouldnt start lol but it did!

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    not letting it dry definitely explains why it smells like 'burnt shit'. Always wash it off with a hose and let it dry 1st.
    くまくま━━━━━━ヽ( ・(ェ)・ )ノ━━━━━━ !!

Well now i know eh... all the shit i read on HT and TI said "start engine to let it dry" -_-

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    tin foil on the battery ... wow ... what are they teaching you kids these days?
    thats a quick way to make a big explosion!
    lucky your not missing any limbs
    Last edited by TheSaint; 29-05-2011 at 07:07 PM.

Hahah and i'm currently studying chemistry in uni. Anyway would you know what the brown shit is? My engine bay is now uglier than before

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    probably a reaction between the degreaser, heat and rubber tubing

remove the tubing from the car - get a bucket full of hot soapy water and clean it up

in future use small amounts of degreeser and a rag to clean ur engine bay - not a hose and tonnes of water

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Hey mate,

This is just what happens with your intake arm. I've done it before. And from experience it has NOTHING to do with heat.

Hit it with tyre shiner spray or Meguire's plastic trim detailer to get some blackness back.
    Last edited by dougie_504; 29-05-2011 at 07:25 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    the brown shit is dirt and crap still on your hose
    you need to use a brush to get rid of it
    the burn smell is all that oil/degreaser in your bay dripping on your exhaust manifold

Alright, everything's all peachy yeah? Ill just clean up the intake arm tomorrow. Hope i didn't **** anything else up.

Any recommended tyre shines? Need one that doesn't leave grease and shit everywhere