Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spotting CVT problems in a 2007 Jazz

Hi all,
    This topic has been done to death so I'm reluctant to bring it up again.... but...
    Considering buying a used "2007" CVT Jazz. (I've looked at 2, one had full size spare and one space saver so I guess there are 2 "2007" models??).

(1) How can I tell for sure whether it has the expensive CVT shudder problem? Do I just need to start and stop a few times at normal speed to show if the problem is there? For example does engine temp or speed or slope matter, and could the seller try to hide it?

(2) "It happens with almost all GD Jazz at some stage"
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...z-CVT-problem/
    Does this REALLY affect ALL CVT Jazz eventually? Is ANYONE driving one with, say, 150,000kms, with the original CVT and still happy? Does anyone estimate the % risk of getting it on a given Jazz?

(3) If it DOES get the problem later, what can I do? There seems total disagreement and confusion over warranty here... some say it is covered only if the car was always serviced at Honda, or for first owner, or for upto 160,000kms, some say not covered at all. The thread above does not reach a conclusion. Of course I am not the first owner.

(4) Now Honda does not make CVT Jazz anymore. They say "Australians do not prefer its feel" or something. Is this really just saying "the CVT was riddled with problems and we stop now before we ruin our brand name with rubbush"??

Worried,

...James
    Last edited by rling; 30-05-2011 at 10:25 AM. Reason: (add info)

the shudder is slipping - so it will happen more often when cold , when on a slope or when using more acceleration. I have a 07 jazz and the last 10,000ks it has been doing this. A slight shudder from low rpm in load situations described as above. Flushed new fluid in about 15,000ks ago - will do again soon but not sure if anything can actually be done / if this is an official honda recall....

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    the shudder is slipping - so it will happen more often when cold , when on a slope or when using more acceleration. I have a 07 jazz and the last 10,000ks it has been doing this. A slight shudder from low rpm in load situations described as above.
    Thanks bennjamin!
    seems not many are interested in this topic anymore :-(
    I heard the problem may have been caused by incorrect fluid -- I heard Honda Australia did not import the correct CVT fluid early on, so this was the problem with early Jazz. Jazz built after the CVTF became available (eg an '07), therefore should have no problem. I'm worried to hear that a '07 is still having this problem. Maybe I
    should get a manual instead, could be more reliable.......
    Did you always use Honda CVTF? And how many kms on your '07 Jazz?
    Thanks again...
    ...James

our car is on about 60,000kms - i personally changed the fluid to proper CVT fluid a good year ago or so - but i cannot recall if its the correct / updated fluid. I will go to honda pronto and see if there is another new type availible , since the fluid needs a change regardless. Best of luck to us...

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    our car is on about 60,000kms
    Ouch!! Means your car got the problem around 50,000 kms and the one I looked at is just on that :-( Seems my worry is real, its a shame, I was quite set on a Jazz :-(

Will have to take it for a test drive up a steep hill with A/C on and a cold engine and the seller in the passenger seat, before I hand over any $$$$$...

BEFORE you buy - get the cars VIN number and report it to a honda dealer - they should be able to tell you if its still got warranty/extended warranty - if so , you are covered as long as the warranty is still valid. Otherwise , ive been told its a matter of a couple of fluid changes and that SHOULD fix the issue

Member Array
    Car:
    09 VTIS, Lotus.
    No problems here at 83K km.s. I change CVT fluid every 30K km.s

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTi-S 07 Manual
    All 2007 Jazz's should have a full sized spare. This was one of the changes with the MY06 model (Thai built) which came out early in 2006 and ran until the GE came out in the second half of 2008. The spare wheel well in the MY06 models was actually reshaped and made deeper to accomodate a full sized wheel. A full sized spare wheel will not fit properly in the spare wheel well of an MY05 (Jap built) or earlier Jazz.

Simple rule: If it has the LED tail lights it should also have a full sized spare wheel.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2006 Jazz GD3
    I think that i might have the CVT problem
    bennjamin -> does the problem happen to you when your driving and then you hit the breaks?
    This CVT thing is really confusing, might get the fluid changed after my exams are over just to be sure.

Member Array
    Car:
    honda vfr800 98
    we have an 02 jazz and its has the cvt slipping issue as well. At first it was a big problem as the car takes abit to get going and is always rolling back on hills and whatnot, eventually we adapted to it and drive accordingly. I drive it like a grandpa, never more then 20-30% throttle. We were given it for free so i guess thats another big factor in the cvt issue not being as big a deal.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2006 Jazz GD3
    Quote Originally Posted by 10KRPM View Post
    we have an 02 jazz and its has the cvt slipping issue as well. At first it was a big problem as the car takes abit to get going and is always rolling back on hills and whatnot, eventually we adapted to it and drive accordingly. I drive it like a grandpa, never more then 20-30% throttle. We were given it for free so i guess thats another big factor in the cvt issue not being as big a deal.
    That slipping backwards thing that your talking about, i thought that was natural in the jazz. I thought that the jazz cvt slipping was the car shuddering when you hit a weird bump in the road, hm... seems like i might have another problem to worry about

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by Doe.Man View Post
    I think that i might have the CVT problem
    bennjamin -> does the problem happen to you when your driving and then you hit the breaks?
    This CVT thing is really confusing, might get the fluid changed after my exams are over just to be sure.
    i think if ur driving and u hit the brakes and u get the shudder it could be your abs, as the ABS shudders to distrubute break load over all 4 wheels equally to prevent slipping, you will get it on rainy days more so and when u break heavy.
    the CVT problem is just when ur taking off and the clutch is putting u into gear, pretty much.

i would of posted earlier because the problem is annoying for me too, but i have been busy lately. Goodluck with ur jazz though