Threaded View

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2

DC2 Thermostat Housing Won't Stop Leaking! Help!

Hey guys.

I'm having trouble with my thermostat gasket/housing leaking. it's a slow leak from what I can tell but I'm sick of it and want to fix it properly.

When I first changed my thermostat well over 6 months months ago i re-used the old gasket and it had a slight leak from then on, not sure if it was leaking beforehand. as we came into winter and I replaced my radiator cap with a spoon one cause my old one broke, the leak got worse.

so I replaced the thermostat gasket with a generic one. and it leaked still. so I drained all the coolant and put silicone sealant on the housing and a bit on the gasket. it stopped leaking for about three days, then started again.

when I realized that the gasket I was using was completely different from the OEM type, I went and picked up the proper one and drained my coolant again and put the new gasket on with sealant on both sides, also scraped and cleaned both mating surfaces beforehand. did up the bolts tight but not he-man tight. and it leaked the next day. WTF.

I've tried loosening and also tightening the bolts but it didn't make a difference.

The wierd thing is it only seems to seep out when the car stays idle for a long time after driving (overnight) but not while the engines running.

the sealant I use is the same stuff honda use in their workshop.

any ideas guys? I've gone through 15-20 litres of coolant trying to fix this, and I'm out of money now, it's getting really expensive and time consuming.....

all input will be much appreciated, and rep for any good ideas.

thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Super-DA9; 30-05-2011 at 11:23 AM.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015