Thread: Hi All!

Hi All!

Hi everyone,

I've just signed up for OzHonda and thought I'd introduce myself. I've got a 1991 Honda CRX.

Specs:
    D16/ZC motor (swapped when the original motor died)
    Lightweight flywheel
    Extractors & 2.5" exhaust system (don't know brands)
    Pedders lowered suspension

Have done about four motorkhana events with this setup (as I bought it), managed second on two of them. Unfortunately there was a fair bit of difference between times for first and second place. In one event this was definitely down to my driving, as I tagged a cone or two, and in the other I believe some suspension modifications definitely would have helped.

Here are the modifications I'm thinking of and why:
    • Enkei RP-F1 15x7.0"
      • They're light
      • I can fit 205 rubber on them (currently got 5.5" wide rims)
      • They're not as expensive as some lightweight rims (about $200/rim vs. $500 for Volk's)
    • Large rear sway bar - not sure if ASR 32mm or Tanabe/Suspension Techniques 24mm
      • I need to minimise wheelspin out of tight turns (yes, I know, modulate the throttle)
      • I need to reduce bodyroll
    • Aluminium rear lower control arms
      • Less unsprung weight
      • I will be able to adjust the effect of the rear swaybar (with certain brands, eg. Skunk2)
    • Front & rear camber adjusters
      • Adjustment to fine tune the effect of other components
    • Bracing
      • Front strut tower bar
      • Rear strut tower bar
      • Front tie bar
      • Rear c-pillar bar
      • Ties car together to improve effect of suspension mods
      • Considering rear tie bar OR ASR rear brace

Keen to hear what others with EF/ED's think. Preferably those who use them in motorkhana.

Ankles

Member Array
    Car:
    2002 DC5 Type R
    hey mate, got any photos? and welcome indeed
    2002 Honda DC5R
    WTB DC5 JDM VISORS
    3TripleZero

No pics on hand to throw up here, but if you imagine a 1991 Honda CRX + 20 years of aging you'd be pretty much on the money. :P The car's nothing special to look at, but I hope to address that in the future. Reliability and performance are my primary concerns. Of course, when I throw the Enkei's on there I'll be a bit more enthusiastic about making the rest of the car look as good as the wheels.

Member Array
    Car:
    2002 DC5 Type R
    As they say:

Reliable
    Cheap
    Performance

You can only choose two :P
    2002 Honda DC5R
    WTB DC5 JDM VISORS
    3TripleZero

LOL! Quite familiar with that addage - and agree with it! I bought the car quite cheap, and it's standard performance has been pretty good... so you can do that maths on where I've been spending my money initially. Now I'm changing the balance. Cheapness is going out the window in favour of reliable performance. Currently getting about $2,000-2,500 worth of work done by a mechanic to try and obtain reliability, and I figure while I'm at it, I'll improve performance somewhat.

Reflecting bennet654's comment, cheapness just went out the window. Front & rear strut braces & tie bars turned up the other day. And an order has been placed for a 32mm ASR autocross swaybar & subframe brace kit, Skunk2 rear lower control arms, Skunk2 front camber kit, Buddy Club rear camber kit, and Enkei RP-F1 15x7.0" +41 alloys. And before any of you say how stupid I am to be fitting a rear tie bar when I'm fitting the ASR subframe brace, don't bother - I'm not. I got carried away and order a pack that includes the rear tie bar before realising that I wouldn't need it. So this will easily be the most I've ever spent on car in the one go. And I've still got to buy tyres - I'm considering Bridgestone Adrenlin RE001's in 205/50 R15, but the latest magazine tyre test I have shows better wet & dry slalom results for another tyre (can't recall which off the top of my head), so I may go with them if the price and size is right.

Looking forward to being able to post some pics of the car with all this stuff on it. Future plans include some work on the exterior which may include some carbon fibre bits - not for the look, but for the weight saving. The Seibon catalogue is rather appealling, but also rather expensive.

LOL! Nolathane rear trailing arm bushes showed up in the mail the other day. I forgot I'd ordered them! Spherical bushings would have been ideal, but I tightened the purse strings somewhat as I'd been spending a heap recently. Will upgrade when these ones perish in a couple of years.