Thread: Leaking coolant

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG5 vti

Leaking coolant

Hey guys,

The other day I was driving and could smell coolant, so I pulled over and I can see coolant leaking on the top hose where the cap is near... I haven't fully inspected it yet, to see if the hose is effed.. But I can see traces of coolant on the top of the radiator... My first thing to do is to get a pressure test.. Any suggestions what you guys think it could be?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG8
    check the plastic on top of radiator man...similar thing happned to me and having to stop every few km on highway is not fun
    Why don't you tell your daddy to comb his damn hair, look like some spiders is having a meetin' on his head.

Member Array
    Car:
    Go Kart
    Probably the seal on the cap is gone...
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U DO DIS

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Could be radiator cap, top hose is a bit stuffed, or top-tank of radiator is leaking. Hopefully the problem is in that order because that's cheapest to most expensive.

Look around the hose end, cap seat and top-tank mating point to see if there's any dried coolant.

Caps are cheap, can probably get one for like $15. Hose is about $40 new from Honda I think, but if it's just a little split at the end you could try removing it from the radiator neck, cutting off the end to above the split, and put it back on (DON'T tighten the clamp it anymore than 1/4 turn past 'firm' as the neck might crumble if it's brittle from age/heat exposure). Top tank + replacement + radiator clean/flush will set you back like $300-400 at a radiator shop.