Member Array
    Car:
    None.. yet.

Post Buying A Car? Tips!! Ahoy!!!

AS i have gone through 3 2nd hand cars in the last 2 years i have picked up certain tips and tricks to help evaulate a car by yourself.

Post up your tips & tricks to help picking the perfect car!!!

I had posted this to a previous topic and could possibly be used as a template to respond.

Lets start a guide to buying a new (2nd hand) car. Tips and ideas on what to look for in this process.

Just some things to check off the top of my head:

INTERIOR EXTERIOR:
    *Under body.. From dumped related issues and scraping..(if tuned)
    *Boot plastics from things rolling around scratching the inside.
    *Operation for all power accessories incl. sun roof.
    *Check outside edge of tyres for balding, un-even wear and tear(Due to hard cornering in front wheel drive car)
    *Close all doors and look down side of the car form rear quarter panel to check for ripples and bumps in bodywork to suggest accident damage.
    *Inspect nuts & bolts holding things such as bonnet, doors, fenders for wear and stripped paint. These parts are painted over from factory (could indicate change in body panels from accident damage)
    *Go to each corner of the car and push down firmly bouncing each corner at a time. Watch how the car rebounds and how easy it was to push. You want it to have some fair resistance against your push and when the car rebounds back form the push it should do so quickly and spring back to its original position. If it is too easy to push and when rebounding stays rocking. Then the shocks are in bad condition and could indicate some poor maintenance issues.

ENGINE:
    *Turn on car and let warm up. Hold down accelerator steady at 5,000rpm Get someone to check for blue smoke out of exhaust. If any blue smoke, it can indicate problems with oil seals. If any black smoke, which is an indicator of carbon build up.
    *Check water to see if topped up and check for impurities such as build up or oil. If any are present could indicate problems to internal seals.
    *check oil level and also check colour and consistency of oil. Oil should be fairly clear and with a runny high viscosity. Not black and sludge like. If the later, could indicate poor maintenance issues.
    *Do same with oil filler cap, look inside and again look at oil condition.
    *Look for white corrosion and or build up around the battery. Any such things could indicate battery problems such as leaking battery.
    *have someone walk around the car while you test all brake lights, indicators etc, to check if working.

WHEN TEST DRIVING:
    *When driving on smooth straight road grip the steering wheel ever so lightly (even half let go) and watch to see if the car steers on its own and follows a new direction, this could indicate a bad wheel alignment etc.
    *Try a few hard braking situations and do the same steering wheel action as previously mentioned to see if the car pulls to one side when braking, this could indicate warped rotors, uneven wear, etc.

Write such points down and create some of your own to take with you when inspecting the car. doing this helps you keep record of multiple cars you see and also to remember to check everything and actually have a plan of action when you get there instead of umming and ahhing looking around the car

So try add to this list with techniques you know about to assit those who need help buying a 2nd hand car

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord CD5
    some members posted alot of useful info in this thread, cbf posting it individually though:
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ght=buying+car

feel free to copy and paste their info

i should be using this info very soon

Someone should sticky this in the noob forum...
    I haven't driven a Honda in years. :/ Does my honda lawn mower and whipper snipper count?

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    A couple more from me:
    • Be wary of an engine bay that looks 'too clean' or like it has just been steamed cleaned. It is often a way to cover up oil leaks.
    • Check the condition of the rubber on the driver pedals. With a bit of practice you can guage whether or not the odo has been tinkered with by checking the wear on the pedals - especially if the odo reading is surprisingly low considering the age of the car.
    • Ask the seller why they are selling the car. I always am cautious of people who say "i am moving overseas" and always ask quickly in response "so what else do you have for sale?".
    • any signs of rust should be treated seriously - even a minor rust spot can become serious.
    • Don't test drive the car for around the block or just 2 minutes. A seller will let you take it out for a good 15kms without complaint.
    And my number one tip people don't always think of - always take someone with you when looking at cars (preferably someone who knows about cars). Most importantly - that person is a witness as to what is said by the seller and what is agreed. Much heartache and 'he said', 'she said' can be avoided if you have a witness.
    Last edited by yfin; 15-07-2006 at 08:28 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by sassy_fit_vtit
    Someone should sticky this in the noob forum...
    good idea - lI'll do it but lets get some more tips first aye.

great tips!

Member Array
    Car:
    CityRail
    Good info, moved to Noob forum.
    Tom says: "Now remember kids, offsets are like women... they are best in their teens."

how do you check for a BHG?

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Any car that is claimed to be owned by an "elderly" or "lady" driver was in fact owned by a P plater.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R,EGB18C7
    Revs check guys also check all numbers match up. Too many people doing engine swaps with the b series conversions and numbers not matching up ;0!!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    lots of stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Indie View Post
    Any car that is claimed to be owned by an "elderly" or "lady" driver was in fact owned by a P plater.
    or was actually owned by a old person or woman who gave it the full beans everytime on a cold start. i agree it's definitely not a plus point.

good tips good write up!