Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cheap $200 headunit

Hey everyone

Im looking for a new headunit that has iphone and ipod connectivity. Ive searched online and one that really caught my fancy is this one here.

http://www.elinz.com.au/products/sin...luetooth-ipod/

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this brand? it can also be bought of ebay by the same seller for $20 or so more.

Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    ®
    Looks fairly low quality. if iPod connectivity is all you're after just get a 3.5" to 3.5" cable & a good pioneer unit with AUX in for $100 retail.

Quote Originally Posted by ep3rsteve View Post
    Looks fairly low quality. if iPod connectivity is all you're after just get a 3.5" to 3.5" cable & a good pioneer unit with AUX in for $100 retail.
    Just wondering what you mean by low quality? as in screen quality or over all?.

I looked at those options but id like something with bluetooth and a large screen it just is more aesthetically pleasing.

Member Array
    Car:
    EU3, FN2R, S2K
    got a deck check my thread
    Mr.PT

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2 vtir
    there are plenty of good headunits these days with ipod and bluetooth for the 200 mark. Clarion make one, i belive its there cz301e? model. and JVC do a similar based item. just go do some shopping and hope for the best. I just bought a Pioneer headunit, $169 and the only bad thing i have to say is when the ipod is pluged in to the usb slot I cant talk through the phone as the speakers dont work like they would if it were through the headphone jack input. but just do your shopping and go from there, and dont be affraid to ask questions to the sales teams, and if they dont know go somewhere else!!! nothing worse then untrained staff!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.PT View Post
    got a deck check my thread
    Which thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Webby_roller View Post
    there are plenty of good headunits these days with ipod and bluetooth for the 200 mark. Clarion make one, i belive its there cz301e? model. and JVC do a similar based item. just go do some shopping and hope for the best. I just bought a Pioneer headunit, $169 and the only bad thing i have to say is when the ipod is pluged in to the usb slot I cant talk through the phone as the speakers dont work like they would if it were through the headphone jack input. but just do your shopping and go from there, and dont be affraid to ask questions to the sales teams, and if they dont know go somewhere else!!! nothing worse then untrained staff!!!
    Well im a P plater so cant use handsfree but im also wondering if its possible for me to play music via Bluetooth and then change songs and all via the head unit? Im so tempted to buy one of the generic brand ones from online they look so good and flashy but probs not worth the money.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    ^ i think there are headunits out there that can do this however im guessing they would be abit more expensive cause of the bluetooth. Popular branded headunits like kenwood, pioneer, sony, etc for the $200 mark would typically play cds, aux and usb when i was looking at one. Dont know about now though they might be cheaper and include bluetooth, just search around you might find a good deal. I got a Pioneer DEH-2350UB for $140 shipped on ebay, doesnt have bluetooth but i was only after one with usb port so yeah lol

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    These cheap Chinese head units are OK, however they usually stick out of the dash a lot more than the branded ones. This one definitely does because the bottom of it overlays other things in your dash so make sure whatever is below this unit isn't affected.

You'll find that everything works, however with little niggles. The sound quality is not as good as a $100 Sony head unit. The screen will be grainy and the colour looks washed, especially at angles (which is important in a car. You are never looking at it front on). If you use hands free, you'll have to replace the mic that comes with these as they are useless which equates to more money.

Bluetooth streaming is cool, however it doesn't sound as good as a direct connection. I had bluetooth on mine and I always find myself connecting my devices directly into the unit.

How do I know these things? I used to sell head units, and decided to bring in a batch of these Chinese ones. They were strangely extremely popular due to the prices, but I was never happy with it in my car. I had one in my car for 2 months before I removed it and got a better unit.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by androo View Post
    These cheap Chinese head units are OK, however they usually stick out of the dash a lot more than the branded ones. This one definitely does because the bottom of it overlays other things in your dash so make sure whatever is below this unit isn't affected.

You'll find that everything works, however with little niggles. The sound quality is not as good as a $100 Sony head unit. The screen will be grainy and the colour looks washed, especially at angles (which is important in a car. You are never looking at it front on). If you use hands free, you'll have to replace the mic that comes with these as they are useless which equates to more money.

Bluetooth streaming is cool, however it doesn't sound as good as a direct connection. I had bluetooth on mine and I always find myself connecting my devices directly into the unit.

How do I know these things? I used to sell head units, and decided to bring in a batch of these Chinese ones. They were strangely extremely popular due to the prices, but I was never happy with it in my car. I had one in my car for 2 months before I removed it and got a better unit.

Good luck!
    Thanks heaps ive had a look online and have decided to get a good quality single Din branded one.

Just a question since the AUD dollar is so good at the moment im looking at getting one from the US and i know it will work with basic fm but if i get a HD audio with Itunes taggingone like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2TGMCZ4O2P52Z will the HD audio and the Itunes tagging work in AUS? I really like these 2 features.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    what are some good HU that has bass and sub control, as well as 3 RCA outputs for under 200? or is that too far fetched
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    ED Vtec
    If your after all those features check out MEA (mobile electronics australia) and troll through the secondhand section, You will be suprised what you find. There is a Alpune 9886i for i think $200. and that's a fuker of a bargin .

Or just wait till jb hi fi have there 30% off all car audio and pick up a semi decent new unit.