Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    ®

Too much weight reduction?

So I've stripped out the back seats, carpet and plastics of my crx to save weight, next is saying goodbye to the sound insulation. I haven't changed anything in the front of the interior yet.

I want to know at what part of the weight reduction stage do my changes become illegal for road use. It's only registered as a 2 seater, so I don't think getting rid of the back seats matters atm, but still, I don't wan't to get defected or fail a rego inspection any time soon.

plz halp ozhondas

by all means take out the sound deadening....but leave it at that if its on the road. Seriously - you are kidding yourself if you think normal DIY weight reduction will actually do anything. Series not-road-legal weight reduction will alter your 1/4 times....but also **** up the balance and safety of the car. This includes fibreglass replacement panels , perspex replacement windows etc.

Member Array
    Car:
    ®
    Haha yeah I know I'm only getting 0.1% of a performance increase but I do have the track in mind for later on. I have noticed the rear wheels are more lively through twisties with the weight removed, not sure if that's a good thing yet, hasn't shown any safety issues. Just unsure about things like removal of the spare tyre, I've heard some people get fined for having none, is this true?

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    talk to your local rta office and get a copy of their vehicle modification guide. that will tell you everything you need to know hopefully, and if all else fails, get it engineered
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, S15
    if you get pulled over say your interior is getting reupholstered thats why you dont have it in right then and there. it works lol
    snapping 2nd..

Member Array
    Car:
    ®
    haha, and the spare tyre is getting "re-treaded" too...

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, S15
    its got run flats on remember... lol jokes.
    snapping 2nd..

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG
    just buy a can of foam from super crap auto save you heaps of weight and legal

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by dc2r-0636 View Post
    if you get pulled over say your interior is getting reupholstered thats why you dont have it in right then and there. it works lol
    lol fuk thats a good one!

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by dc2r-0636 View Post
    Ive used that twice now. My new one is "I picked up some friends the other night and they vomited in the back so it's all out and being cleaned."
    FIGJAM

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    ^

Yep, heard that one used with success for sure!

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    yep, ive used both retrim and vomit to success lol

ok, basically, you cant have bare metal exposed whereever passengers are. So all the back can be stripped, but leave in the carpet, door trims, etc in the front end.
    to see all of my build, checkout