Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I was equipped by Mugen Array
    Car:
    Lexus Soarer V8 GTLimited
    Hi, ive read up on the history of all the cams threads but none have answered my query.
    Im looking at installing a set of B16b CTR cams into my B16A.
    Has anyone had any experience with doing this and can inform me of its worthyness. i.e. power gaines ?
    I believe this wont require a second set of valve springs and titanium retainers ... etc.
    should i get an Apexi VAFC to compliment it or will the normal ECU pick up on them ?

Honda resource for enthusiasts with all the latest news from Honda, downloads, media, photo albums, technical information and lots more!

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    I think u will need an upgraded valve train also to help unleash the power that the cam's are supposed to make at higher then b16a revving levels.
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Member Array
    Yup new set of valve springs to support the higher redline, without them your gonna hear alot of pinging in your enigne. Also CTR cams are useless with a stock ECU, in fact your gonna loose power. You would need a EK9 ECU, or get a conversion harness to convert to OBD 1 and flash a EK9 program onto it. This will enable a higher redline, and also utilise the cams.

Car:
    but if you intend to rev it like the B16A and change at 8k - you wont really need the springs will you ?
    Thanks for the ECU part, i didnt know about that ..

Honda resource for enthusiasts with all the latest news from Honda, downloads, media, photo albums, technical information and lots more!

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    Get the valvetrain - it's not just revs, its also the aggressive ramps on the cams that are an issue
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX

My cousin had b16b cams installed in his EK VTIR coupe. He's looking at purchasing a VAFC atm.

I don't really talk to him that much, so have only heard from my other cousin that it goes a bit better....
    blah blah blah

Hehehe Spunky has more cousins than any one person I know

You really wanna run at least the ITR/CTR intake springs and swap your intakes over to the exhaust. Oh and if your gonna go to the trouble, you may as well put in Toda A's.......which I have for sale hehehe

Car:
    no im not going Toda A's but thanks for the offer.
    Not unless they're less than $500.

I dont intend to rev it past 8000 so really are these spring necessary if that be my intention ?
    Yes i know the B16B redlines at 8400 too

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    the thing is though, u _need_ to rev it that high to gain any performance out of the cams! Thats the reason why u need to chnage ur springs etc.
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    Actually works ok as a drop in...
    Keeping the stock rev limit you'll see 7~9hp more at the wheels with no other changes... Only on the top cam though... if you get them for a good price, it's not a bad bang for your buck mod...
    Do not increase your rpm limit without a valve spring up-grade though...
    Could do with an E-manage or better...
    TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
    TODA Racing - FIGHTEX - MFactory - HALTECH - EXEDY
    Race engines, Dyno tuning, Licenced workshop, Parts.
    P:0401869524 email: toda@todaracing.com.au

Car:
    Thanks heaps TODA !
    Thats the kind of info that puts a smile on my face
    I hope to get more than 9hp@wheels with my 4-1 headers and full cat back.

Question tho.
    Would the Apexi VAFC2 utilise the new cams and net me a more desired gain ? (sorry if this sounds like im repeating myself but we are talking of a $1500 job)

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    Best to read the popular concensus in VAFCs - I hope you have shares in a dyno centre to keep retuning it.
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX