Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oils for DC2R.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1 -> DC2R

Oils for DC2R.

Hi was wondering if anyone knew how much performance is actually lost going from 5w30 to 0w40 if any at all?

Reason is because I always use Castrol Edge 5w30, never burns any oil though. I'm reaching 5,000 KMs soon and its been about a year so it definitely needs a change. I want to change from Castrol Edge 5w30 to a proper synthetic.

I heard that Mobil1 5w30 is a Group III blend oil? and that their 0w40 is a group IV oil? Can someone confirm please?

Member Array
    Car:
    5th Gen Prelude
    Why do you want to use the group IV oil?
    Do you track? Does your engine see redline a bit too much for street use? :P
    Using Xw30 is probably your best bet, as its the right viscosity at operating temperatures to properly lube your engine.
    Having 0wXX is also better for protection as its thinner than 5wXX at start up and hence will flow faster and protect more. There would be an insignificant difference though so no worries there.

All you gotta do is weigh up the cost vs the benefit for group3 vs group4

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1 -> DC2R
    Well no I don't track or redline it on the street, but I want the best for my car (well not to the point of Group V).

I've been having zero oil loss and probably prefer to keep my engine that way. Keep the internals in top notch.

But yeh i'll prob just use Mobil 1 5w30 then. And well the costs aren't that big of a difference considering Castrol Edge is overpriced atm (used to be good with those SCA sales) and OEM is similar priced. Might as well go for Mobil1 considering I only put about 5000 KMs a year, it aint much to pay at all.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I'd go 10W-40 personally. If you're having no issues, no leaks, no redlines, no track work etc then there's no point lol. Just warm your car up properly and don't drive it hard until you get to the right temperature, that's when most internal engine wear happens. If you change it every 5000KMs then you'll be fine.

For my CRX I used Nulon 10W-40, which is great oil and not too expensive.
    For my daily driven Civic I use Castrol Magnatech 10W-40, which is quite inexpensive and fully synthetic.

Member Array
    Car:
    5th Gen Prelude
    The Magnatec is still only group 3.

It really is up to you. You know that group 4 over group 3 isnt needed so its what you wanna pay.

The oil you use, as long as its ok and is changed properly will not contribute to you losing oil in the future.
    And when you do start to lose oil, its still not that bad for your internals to burn it.
    Your engine will suffer if you put thicker oil in it, even if you then burn less.
    The only downside of burning is that you have to keep an eye on it.

I use castrol 0w-40, its fine. thinking of changing to 5w30 though.

shell 5w-30. I'm assuming its still a group iv because of the price.
    Last edited by Bludger; 19-06-2011 at 12:47 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    For my daily driven Civic I use Castrol Magnatech 10W-40, which is quite inexpensive and fully synthetic.
    Incorrect. Its a semi-syn
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1 -> DC2R
    stupid laws... allowing companies to claim fully-synthetic when they aren't.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Well the magnatec 5w30 is fully synth, maybe that's where the confusion comes from. However, its not sold in Australia.

Sent from my custard cannon like Peter North.

Member Array
    Car:
    Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust
    i believe honda has just introduced a synthetic FEO engine oil which is roughly the same price as castrol edge.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    I believe its made by caltex for honda.

Quote Originally Posted by RtN View Post
    Hi was wondering if anyone knew how much performance is actually lost going from 5w30 to 0w40 if any at all?

Reason is because I always use Castrol Edge 5w30, never burns any oil though. I'm reaching 5,000 KMs soon and its been about a year so it definitely needs a change. I want to change from Castrol Edge 5w30 to a proper synthetic.

I heard that Mobil1 5w30 is a Group III blend oil? and that their 0w40 is a group IV oil? Can someone confirm please?
    Get the motul 10w40. Good stuff. Oil should be change 1/2 a year or 5,000kms/10,000kms depending on what type of oil you use.