Newcomer Array
    Car:
    integra GSI

gearbox/ diff problem

hey all
    when im driving i get this big clunk i lose power to the front wheels. within a second its fine again, it doing this at all different speeds and gears. i though it was my cv joints because they were on the way out but i got them replaced and its still doing it. and its getting worse. im not driving it atm untill i get it fixed. the mechanic said it might be either the diff or the gearbox but because its happening in all gears i think it probably the diff... has this happened to anyone before? and are there possible fixs other than replacing the hole gearbox and diff? any advice?

thanks

been thrashing the car? Any hard launches ? Any reverse-to-1st roll back burnouts etc ? I ask because I stripped down a gearbox recently where the owner did this alot and there were chunks of metal broken off teeth in the differential and a similar clunk as the diff struggles to properly bias the torque to each wheel

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    integra GSI
    well iv looked after it... i dont really drive it hard much and i dont really do hard lauches. but thats not to say i have not done them. but the car has over 200k on it. and im the 4th owner so i dont know what they have been doing to it. it first happened when i was accelerating out of my street, but i was not really thrashing it

try this

open your engine bay - leave the car in neutral and let it idle. Make sure its warmed up - now grab the throttle cable with your finger and rev it ( or get a mate to rev it from the cabin). Does the engine lurch forward and backward much ?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    integra GSI
    um tired that... it moved forward and back. but no more than usual

well thats counting out a broken rear engine mount.
    Sure there arent any chunks of metal missing off the rear mount etc ( that connects to the diff housing)

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    integra GSI
    yeah i check all the engine mounts... they all look fine. must be something to do with diff then. would it be cheaper to get someone to rebuild it? or just buy a new gearbox and diff assembly and get them to put that in?

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    drain gearbox oil and see if any metal comes out
    i had the same problem with my old dc2 VTiR gearbox, long story but it had no oil in the gearbox.
    after ahwile i used some expoxy crap to cover the hole of the gearbox and filled it up with oil
    then suddenly oil started pouring out the hole one day and i drove home with barley any oil
    then it started cluncking/knocking. gears were hard to change too
    無限 The Form is in the Function 無限
    teamGROUNDzero

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    integra GSI
    dont think its that. gears changes are fine. plus when i got new cv shafts the mechanic changed the gearbox oil

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    integra GSI
    ok im putting a new gearbox in. been quoted 550 for a gsi gearbox. just a quick question would a gearbox from a B18A fit as well? with out any modification?