Member Array

wanting to try new oil for my dc2r

as above, my options are:

Motul 8100 X-cess SAE 5w - 40 (100% synth)

Motul 8100 X-max SAE 10w - 40 (100% synth)

from my understanding 5w means that it has less viscosity at -18 C than the 10w. so with 5w its easier for the engine to start up relative to 10w?

cheers
    naturally i finished my set.

yup! 5w operates better under colder temperatures, it flows more easily to coat critical components more quickly. Thus making it easier to start

Summer is coming up soon though so i would go with 10w - 40.
    Last edited by jeremydawg; 03-10-2011 at 08:31 PM.
    DEEFUFF 4LYF

you don't start your car at -18

Member Array
    Car:
    Nonda Tiburon
    either will be fine

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    entirely depends on your engines internal condition. if it burns oil at an abnormal rate on something like a 5W then use a 10W, or a 15W. if it doesn't consume at an abnormal rate then stick with it.

my vti-r hated motul X-cess lol.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    Teg
    Pretty good oil currently using the xcess 5w40. Next change is approaching and It's made me consider weather going back to RP is worth it...but to keep on topic both are fine as said above.
    All Motor

Quote Originally Posted by slingsy View Post
    Pretty good oil currently using the xcess 5w40. Next change is approaching and It's made me consider weather going back to RP is worth it...but to keep on topic both are fine as said above.
    I'm exactly the same, started with RP in my DC2r, tried out Motul and cant justify the extra $25 for what is probably very similar oil, and I definitely cant notice any difference

If anyone is interested in what oil you should run check out this site http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ lots of in depth info and a great resource.