Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    92 B18 eg Civic
    Thanks heaps mate, pq point given

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9/CL9
    hi guy's , i know this is an old thread, but any chance you could tell me if this wire is ok from Jaycar?
    http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...SUBCATID=995#1

and what type of circut breaker??
    http://www.jaycar.com.au---------------/productResults.asp?whichpage=1&pagesize=10&keyword s=circuit+breaker&form=KEYWORD

cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    92 B18 eg Civic
    Personally 0 gauge is overkill. You can use it if you like but it la harder to work with and more expensive. What's the c/b for? I would have thought oem short circuit protection is fine?

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    You need 0 gauge to handle the current for the starter motor.
    to see all of my build, checkout

you need a direct connection between the starter & battery, no circuit breaker will be able to handle the load....

Battery > master switch > >>>>>

-----starter
    -----fuse/circuit breaker > rest of car.

meaning after the main switch, you may split it in two.....

one to the starter and one to the rest of the car, via a fuse...

Quote Originally Posted by crobaa View Post
    Personally 0 gauge is overkill. You can use it if you like but it la harder to work with and more expensive. What's the c/b for? I would have thought oem short circuit protection is fine?
    not really......

Member Array
    Car:
    92 B18 eg Civic
    I actually spoke to an auto elec about this the other day. I'm an electrician too so I have an understanding of current carrying capacity of cables. But I'm just going off what he said. 0 gauge of course will work but you don't need such huge cable. My original batt location is next to firewall and planned location was right behind back seat on eg hatch so my volt drop would be less than most.

From an electricians perspective 0ga is so damn large and only used for pretty large applications. Not 1 or 2 seconds of start up current. Can anybody explain in further detail why 0ga is necessary?

I actually spoke to an auto elec about this the other day. I'm an electrician too so I have an understanding of current carrying capacity of cables. But I'm just going off what he said. 0 gauge of course will work but you don't need such huge cable. My original batt location is next to firewall and planned location was right behind back seat on eg hatch so my volt drop would be less than most.

From an electricians perspective 0ga is so damn large and only used for pretty large applications. Not 1 or 2 seconds of start up current. Can anybody explain in further detail why 0ga is necessary?
    I don't think anyone will dispute the fact with you that, smaller cable will work.
    In all honesty, I think even 8Ga will do the job. Even twisting 3 or 4 figure8 together will work. (don't do it)

I'm disputing that you call it overkill. Because for the amount of money doing a PROPER battery relocation, $10 - $15 extra for the best cable isn't going to hurt.

Member Array
    Car:
    92 B18 eg Civic
    If smaller cable is totally adequate in every way then bigger cable is overkill IMO. Putting bigger cable would just be harder to run, terminate, hide and cost more for no gain at all. But I can see why some people just the biggest because they can

we'll agree to disagree.....

agree?

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank

Most of the time you only need the starter for 1 or 2 seconds but in the off chance you have a fuel problem, ignition problem etc that requies you to crank the car over for a longer period than normal then your better off having the constant power handling that the higher gauge cables give expecially when your using longer lengths of cable.

Heres a chart i found that helps illustrate that when you increase the cable length and constant power handleing requirement of the wire, the required gauge goes up quite quickly.
    http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...e_Speaker-Wire
    "I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

Member Array
    Car:
    92 B18 eg Civic
    Agreed. Just realized I made this thread ages ago and still haven't done it lol. Damn being poor