Member Array
    Car:
    DA9,DA3,EG,DA9

the strangest electrical issue (ideas please)

so am trying to extend the wires on a set of neons (between tube and tranformer box) but when i do tube only partially lights up. tried speaker wire as it is similar to wire used by manufacturer and tried heavy gauge wire incase its a voltage drop issue... to cut a long story short... have tried lots of different things but everytime i extend wires same problem with no logical reason for it not to work thought id see if anyone has had this sort of problem before. any ideas would be appriciated as im about out...
    thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    How are you joining the wires?

Sent from my custard cannon like Peter North.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9,DA3,EG,DA9
    solder...
    have done more than my fair share of wiring so the joins are quite decent.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 CD5 04 600RR
    have you actually tried wire that is meant for 12VDC rather than something thats meant for VAC? you got to know the current the original wire is rated at so you can get the same rating...
    Albert Einstein Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe.

Put your location in your profile, makes referring help easier!

Member Array
    Car:
    ek1 mother****er
    Quote Originally Posted by ICACHA View Post
    have you actually tried wire that is meant for 12VDC rather than something thats meant for VAC? you got to know the current the original wire is rated at so you can get the same rating...
    shouldnt matter, copper is copper. only difference it makes is thicker has less voltage drop.
    THAT SHIT WAS BANANAS

Member Array
    Car:
    EG8
    are both wires being extended?? sure your connecting to correctly end to end?? maybe test voltage & current where you cut of the tube, then add your extension wire then test again... you might see the decrease then, neons use very very little power so in this rare case there might be quite a loss in voltage or current, but highly doubt it.
    Why don't you tell your daddy to comb his damn hair, look like some spiders is having a meetin' on his head.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 CD5 04 600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by redefine View Post
    shouldnt matter, copper is copper. only difference it makes is thicker has less voltage drop.
    really? show me where it says that please, i'd love to read it for myself
    Albert Einstein Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe.

Put your location in your profile, makes referring help easier!

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9,DA3,EG,DA9
    tried 3 different types of wire everything from heavy gauge to speaker wire... also all connections are good... did voltage and current test with and without extension and theres no drop.... turns out its because i was only extending one light from each transformer box. run the 2 extended ones from the one box and all's good...