new engine for crx ??

im looking at buying a crx witch dropped the timing belt, its got a Stock D16 in it, and its a 1988 Gen 2 ED9 CRX, can i fix the engine thats in it or what engine should i try buy for it, want vtec ?? i dont know much bout them

Member Array
    Car:
    NHB DC2R + EURO
    No body can answer your question mate! Look around research what you want, find your budget, and then start the search for a decent motor or fix your current!

Member Array
    Car:
    ®
    In short if you only want vtec get a b16.. it will fit into an ED9 without too many issues. The car + conversion will probably cost you the same amount as a decent condition EF8 Crx with one already in it. I would only bother changing the engine in the ED9 if the D16 was completely trashed.
    Last edited by ep3rsteve; 29-06-2011 at 03:49 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED's/EF
    Fit a new timing belt in the D16A8 and then keep going?

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    Quote Originally Posted by SlobberGoat View Post
    Fit a new timing belt in the D16A8 and then keep going?
    It has also most likley bent a valve, so that would be pointless.
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    b18c2+T Ej8
    Open the engine, if it is bent valve get a new head and timing belt.If it is alright clean it up, new head-gasket and timing belt. and save the money.
    Btw what is the mileage of the engine

Member Array
    Car:
    CRX
    It all depends on your budget

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    D16A8 head is cheap like $150. Are you in Melbourne?

So your the guy that's been messaging me? Yes the motor is fixable, the problem I have is that I left it with the mechanic while I was overseas & said "find out what's wrong but don't fix it if it goes over $500" (thought it may have been a quick fix, didn't realise it had jumped the belt) On my return I find out about the belt & was told the head had been sent away to get checked, OK that's fair enough. Then after not hearing from him for a week or so I dropped in to see what the go is to find out that the head had been checked but the valves needed reseating & they were reseated WITHOUT MY APPROVAL!. This has left me with a bill of over $1500 all up do do the work this far, you know, the stuff I didn't want done. F#@k, I could have bought a new motor & a carton & had it done by now. So I've decided to sell as is. You could either get a belt kit & put it back together or buy a D16 or B16 & throw it in there, it's up to you.