Member Array
    Car:
    2009 Red FN2R

Camshaft Claification

Just a quick question regarding the supporting mods for upgrading camshafts on a b16a2 engine. The Skunk2 tuner series Stage 1 Cams for B16A2 seem to be a straight swap and will work with the current rev limit and springs/retainers etc.

I have read up on the cam installation process and how to set the timing once the cams are in but I am confused at that point. Once the timing is set, do I have to do anything to the ECU?

Seems a cost effective mod if it is just cams and cam gears but if I have to start chasing ecu changes it get expensive.

Want to keep the stock rev limit and valvetrain if i can. Engine has 140,000
    ...96 EK4 VTIR Hatch, Enkei RPF1s, BClub Short Shift Kit, Mugen Pedals, Tanabe NF210 springs, whiteline rear sway bar

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    You don't have to tune it with an ECU, but if you want the best gains then you should, to adjust idle so it doesn't drive like a pig, air/fuel ratios etc so your ecconomy doesn't suck too hard and to optimise the power gains.
    Supporting valvetrain is recommended (just springs/retainers). Dw about valves.
    Port jos is a good idea too and maybe a TB/IM upgrade.

Once you open the head of an engine very few things become cost-effective long-term. You get no value for your parts if you sell them or the car again. With bolt-on mods at least there's a decent market for used parts. Internals is a different story.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    actually stock honda retainers are pretty strong (rated to like 12k rpm) - you really only need to upgrade the springs

an ECU, adjustable cam gears and a fuel pressure regulator would be the next move after the cams

than a good tune =)
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Member Array
    Car:
    2009 Red FN2R
    Nice one - thanks for the advice. There's a great book by Richard Holdener I have been reading called Xtreme B-series honda engines and it's sparked a few ideas. Cams are appealing as once they are done there's nothing visibly different about the motor.

I hadn't considered the rough idle issue as I thought that was largely avoided with VTEC and Stage 1 cams - most of the marketing materials about mild cams seems to indicate that the b16 would keep the factory idle. Is this marketing hype?
    ...96 EK4 VTIR Hatch, Enkei RPF1s, BClub Short Shift Kit, Mugen Pedals, Tanabe NF210 springs, whiteline rear sway bar

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Most 'stage 1' camshafts will have a relatively smooth idle because companies use 'stage 1' to describe a midly aggressive camshaft profile. Anything above that and you'll notice a bit of roughness generally. Even with a stage 1 camshaft you'll notice a shift in your powerband so you rev the engine more to get the power.

Good idea to read books like that. Great to see you're taking it upon yourself to do some research. Best way to learn.