Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    b18 ek

P Plate ek engine swap

just the other night i blew my engine on my 97 ek1 its still drivable keeping revs under about 3k, pretty sure its the rod bearings. mechanic said it could cost up to 1800 to fix the whole engine if there is block damage and what not. that being said id rather spend some money into a project. being a p plater just want to know ur opinions on b18 or b16 regarding police and legality. also if someone could link me to an ek b18 build thread will be greatly appreciated.
    p.s i know i can buy a d16 cheap and install it but i really want some more power and torque.
    thanks.

Member Array
    Car:
    INTEGRA TYPE R
    if the engine never came in the car(of that series) then you need it engineered and P platers cant drive engineered... legally...
    so B16 is your option as for B series

but hey wht cops going to really look for engine numbers.. B18 would probably pass the popped bonnet.. but doubt a k they arent that ignorant..
    Last edited by DCZ 18C; 04-07-2011 at 06:29 PM.
    THERES NO CAR LIKE A TYPE R

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    yeah just throw in a b18
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    b18 ek
    haha i really want to do the b18 but cant the cops when they check the rego see that it has been engine swapped or is that not known to them unless they actually know a honda? also any proper build guides of b18 into ek all ive found is eg swaps...

Member Array
    Car:
    dog
    a lot of cops are pretty clueless when it comes to swaps, they just see honda on the valve cover and don't suspect shit.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    its the exact same, swapping something into an ek as it is into eg.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    b18 ek
    ohh okay thanks for clearing that up trism. much appreciated. any mods i should do to the engine before it going in that will make it easier for me now then later? nothing too major just dont want headaches later on and higher costs.

Member Array
    Car:
    INTEGRA TYPE R
    id probably replace the seals and gaskets if i were putting in a used engine... best bet..

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Ek civic
    Best bet i say is to get a B16 and get some cams and work the head cause they cant see them anyway and you will have saved money instead of buying a B18. Remember that if you get caught on you P Plates with a illegal P Plate car its 3 Demerits considering you have 5 its a big risk. I am having the same dilemma myself and cant decide
    Keep it clean

Member Array
    Car:
    INTEGRA TYPE R
    i wouldnt waste my time with a b16 unless its because you are scared of defect.. b16 arent that quick.. go b18 much better option. but isnt legal so weigh up pros and cons and make your decision..

Member Array
    Car:
    Ekay
    I did a swap and I'm on my red Ps. Got the engine rego to the car and only got introuble for having mods. Never had any problems with regards to engine swap

Member Array
    Car:
    b18 ek
    in nsw if you are caught with an illegal p plate car its 7 points...which is all the points a green p plater has. im hoping when the b18 goes in i dont get into too much trouble with it only reason im leaning away from b16 is lack of torque compared to the b18cr is it very noticeable? never driven a b16.