DIY: ED Civic cluster LED/bulb change

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim:
    Change the bulbs/LEDs in your ED's cluster

Required:
    -T5 wedge LEDs of a colour of your choice
    -Small phillip head screw driver
    -Small flat head screw driver

Steps:

Step 1:
    There are four screws that need to be removed to access the cluster.
    -1 Beneath the hazard light and defroster buttons
    -1 Beneath the cluster light "variator"
    -2 Behind the windscreen

The two behind the windscreen are concealed by a cap which you can pry open.

Step 2:
    After removing the screws gently pull the cover forward to free it up, do not yank it out. There are 3 plugs which need to be unplugged; the hazard lights defroster and the "cluster light variator".

Step 3:
    As pictured below there are three plugs behind the cluster which need to be removed before you can take the cluster out. Simply unplug them.

Step 4:
    Remove the four screws in the pictures below.

You will now be able to change the LED bulbs. I changed all the ones which are circled in red.

The green circles are the indicator lights, blue for high beam, and the orange section for the check engine oil, boot lid, hand brake, and battery lights.

Step 5:
    To remove and change a bulb, simply twist the "bulb holder" anti-clockwise and pull it out. You will be left with something like this.

Pinch the old bulb and pull it out, being careful not to break it.

Step 6:
    Insert the new LED as pictured. (Note that the picture is not to scale.) Then insert the "bulb holder" with the new LED back into the cluster and twist it clockwise to lock it into place.

Note that you should replace one bulb at a time so you don't make a mess or lose anything.

Step 7:
    Reassemble the cluster in reverse order of removal.

I forgot to take a before picture but here is a crummy quality after picture:

Last edited by jomegal; 07-07-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: inserting an "after" picture

Very handy! Ill be doing this into my integra Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    ED6
    Hi mate ,

did you use SMD LED bulbs or normal LED bulbs ?

if it SMD type , where did you get them ? did it fit ok in the cluster ?

any pics at night after installed ?

Cheers

You're welcome Dubstein.

I used SMD LEDs but they didn't turn out very bright, I'll get a pic up sometime tomorrow. It fit fine in the cluster.
    Got them from eBay, just search for 't5 smd led' and you should be able to find plenty. Most are from Hong Kong and will take a week or so to arrive at your doorstep.

Member Array
    Car:
    GD3/ED6
    jomegal, nice writeup. got some before and after pictures?

Thanks, just added an after picture to the original post. Forgot to take before pictures but it was a dim, white-yellowish colour before.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Good work. Well done.

Peter
    Still here. Still kickin'

Member Array
    Car:
    GD3/ED6
    sicko, now we need a diy for the needle!