Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    ek

Carbon Clutch slipping : RESOLVED

hey guys..

changed my sump yesterday, and obviously new oil motul 5-40 fully synthetic.

however, after a quick drive.. noticed my clutch is slipping. cruising in 3rd gear and plant my foot down and it will not hold.

its a Carbon Exedy R, which i know does not last long.. but its probably had about 12-13k kms of daily driving on it..

oil change and drivetrain is completely unrelated, however, i did a quick google search and it seems the issue happens in motorcylces ?

just coincidence ?
    12.949 @ 107.71mph
    2.063 60ft on Advan AD08
    EKK20A 142.9kw on 98ron

its not called stance if you're on spacers..

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    I've actually heard of this happening on a Honda before, CB7.. F22A Motor.. Saw it on forums years back.
    Surely it'd be impossible to get oil inside your bell housing though?

Member Array
    Car:
    ek
    motorcylces run a wet clutch: clutch is submerged in engine oil under operation. hence, when a synthetic oil is used, it may cause the clutch to slip..

my car doesnt have a wet clutch system lol.. sigh
    12.949 @ 107.71mph
    2.063 60ft on Advan AD08
    EKK20A 142.9kw on 98ron

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by zco View Post
    hey guys..

changed my sump yesterday, and obviously new oil motul 5-40 fully synthetic.

however, after a quick drive.. noticed my clutch is slipping. cruising in 3rd gear and plant my foot down and it will not hold.

its a Carbon Exedy R, which i know does not last long.. but its probably had about 12-13k kms of daily driving on it..

oil change and drivetrain is completely unrelated, however, i did a quick google search and it seems the issue happens in motorcylces ?

just coincidence ?
    what car is it?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Car or motorbike ?

Car = leaking main rear seal (located behind the flywheel) oil is seeping thru and getting onto the flywheel or clutch , and with rpm/inertia it creates slip

Bike = wrong oil for the wet clutch. Either car oil used or wrong viscosity creating slip

Member Array
    Car:
    Want A Jazz
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    Car or motorbike ?

Car = leaking main rear seal (located behind the flywheel) oil is seeping thru and getting onto the flywheel or clutch , and with rpm/inertia it creates slip

Bike = wrong oil for the wet clutch. Either car oil used or wrong viscosity creating slip
    100%

i dare say when you removed your sump you might have tapped the seal out abit and thats whats causing it. check your oil and check your driveway and see if there is any leaks also
    Last edited by hitoriko; 09-07-2011 at 02:16 PM.
    . h i t o r i k o .

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    +1 also on the rear main
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    ek
    Motor is k20a
    If rear main seal leaks, which it has been.. It may be because im using a thinner oil? And its seeping through more now?
    If it does leak, would it be on the backside of the fly? Non cutch side..
    12.949 @ 107.71mph
    2.063 60ft on Advan AD08
    EKK20A 142.9kw on 98ron

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    has been? dont think it matters what oil you use, it should not leak.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Quote Originally Posted by zco View Post
    Motor is k20a
    If rear main seal leaks, which it has been.. It may be because im using a thinner oil? And its seeping through more now?
    If it does leak, would it be on the backside of the fly? Non cutch side..
    as my post said dude with inertia , the oil transfers from the very back of the flywheel to beyond - including the clutch disc/pressure plate etc. It is possible with a different(thinner) oil it can seep. If its severe you can see it leaking thru the flywheel check plate area !

As ben said, remove flywheel cover and have a look for yourself. Though if it has already started dispersing oil, then changing oil won't rid of the oil that has seeped passed the rear main seal. Was the clutch done recently? If you have the time zico, it's probably best to open it up and change it anyway, rather than frying the clutch. It's a pretty cheap service part.

Member Array
    Car:
    ek
    i'll pull the box apart and get the rear main seal changed..
    while im at it, i'll have a look at the clutch disc to see if its burnt or not..
    if its okay, but wet due to the oil on it.. would it be okay to just clean it up and reuse clutch ?
    clutch was done 2 years ago..
    when the clutch slips, i dont smell anything so im assuming the clutch is nto actually burning/worn.. unless carbon has no smell when it burns ?
    12.949 @ 107.71mph
    2.063 60ft on Advan AD08
    EKK20A 142.9kw on 98ron