Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Array
    Car:
    DB9
    ok, bit of a nub question, when you talk about the rear main seal, you are referring to the rear main crankshaft seal yes??

why would changing the sump affect that seal? i didnt think you could just accidentally knock it around or out of place?

also, isnt the bottom of the rear main seal a little higher than the sump/block join? what im trying to say is, i would have assumed the rear main seal wouldnt really get THAT much oil on it in the first place for it to become a problem where a leaky seal lets a significant amount of oil onto the flywhee/clutch assembly...
    Team Yum Cha Daily
    Melb Crew reppin

.....an era has ended.....RIP YF dc2^3

"I do apologise for what must seem like an arbitrary imposition"

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by krogoth View Post
    ok, bit of a nub question, when you talk about the rear main seal, you are referring to the rear main crankshaft seal yes??

why would changing the sump affect that seal? i didnt think you could just accidentally knock it around or out of place?

also, isnt the bottom of the rear main seal a little higher than the sump/block join? what im trying to say is, i would have assumed the rear main seal wouldnt really get THAT much oil on it in the first place for it to become a problem where a leaky seal lets a significant amount of oil onto the flywhee/clutch assembly...
    Yea thats right, crankshaft oil seal. He said it was previously leaking. Not sure if it was replaced properly or not.
    I think the seal is like metal ring covered in rubber, the ring might've bend during installation when it was replaced. They might've tapped the seal on one side at a time using hammer. In the manual it uses a driver that spans across the diameter of oil seal.

Oil leak from the pan can still go to flywheel if there is no flywheel cover when driving. wind blows.
    my car leaks oil

::might even be transmission oil leaking for all we know. Can't see shit over the net lolol.
    Last edited by mocchi; 11-07-2011 at 10:42 AM.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    ek
    Ok, so after talking to my friend (previous owner) he says it is impossible the Clutch is worn. He barely put 5000kms on it in the 2years of installing it. I have since put 2000kms on it in 4weeks lol! Anyway, he told me to read the instructions on how to use the clutch.. And behold, he wasn't kidding!

As for the rear main seal, I think i'll just leave it until it is leaking bad..

See pic below for instructions and reasons why slippage occurs. Lol

Time to go out and apply these instructions ! Hope it works ! Turns out carbon clutches are not like your average metallic clutch !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1310598802.879473.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	19225  
    12.949 @ 107.71mph
    2.063 60ft on Advan AD08
    EKK20A 142.9kw on 98ron

its not called stance if you're on spacers..

Member Array
    Car:
    DB9
    lol well thats interesting, 5 second slips of the clutch within 30 seconds? lollll

let us know how you go
    Team Yum Cha Daily
    Melb Crew reppin

Member Array
    Car:
    ek
    Yeh sounds abit extreme lol ! 5secs , 3 times = 15seconds. Sounds like ultimate burnage haha

But at 2000rpm I hope it's fine rofl
    12.949 @ 107.71mph
    2.063 60ft on Advan AD08
    EKK20A 142.9kw on 98ron

Member Array
    Car:
    ek
    Ok just went for a test drive.. Seems like it's holding up quite well !

Obviously didn't have a safe strip to fully test it out, but will put my mind at ease prior to heading to wsid !
    12.949 @ 107.71mph
    2.063 60ft on Advan AD08
    EKK20A 142.9kw on 98ron

Member Array
    Car:
    DB9
    very interesting..............at least its holding up now..

never heard of a crankshaft main seal deteriorating/knocked badly enough to allow enough oil to come through and get into the flywheel/clutch etc..

but ive also never heard of a clutch needing such a warm up procedure? lol
    Team Yum Cha Daily
    Melb Crew reppin

Member Array
    Car:
    ek
    yehh.. i still find it difficult to understand how the oil can seep through from the rear main seal, through the flywheel. over to the clutch side.. even if it was "momentum/intertia", the oil would just fly off to the side of the gearbox housing

in regards to the clutch, maybe because no one uses carbon clutches.. LOL
    12.949 @ 107.71mph
    2.063 60ft on Advan AD08
    EKK20A 142.9kw on 98ron

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    As the info suggests, carbon products be they clutches, brakes etc do not work well at low temps and actually enjoy being given a hard time, its what they are made to do.

My ATS unit is very similar and driving like miss daisy just doesnt get it hot enough so give it a hard time first thing ( but after warming the engine up ) and you'll find it much more usable without the slip.

I love mine, 170 odd kw and a single plate, never gives any grief or slip, and when it came off after a few months, still looked like new and didnt measure much different.