Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R

Coilovers or springs?

In time I'll need to lower my EK1 when I get my new set of 15x7's, just wondering what's the advantages and disadvantages of the both? Coilovers can be expensive but the BC systems seem like the best bang for your buck, though springs can be a cheaper option too. King springs seem like the main ones being used, though what are the other spring brands like compared?
    Last edited by Woodzy; 09-07-2011 at 08:26 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    370Z/DC5
    Don't mean to be an arsehole or put you off mate, but try to do a search first before you post as there are numerous threads on this topic and the Mods will just burn you for it.

I'll give you my 2cents anyway. Lowered springs are the more affordable option, people will always recomend upgrading your shocks aswell if your going to drop it any more than 2 or 2.5 inches so your stock shocks don't die. There are plenty of different brands out there, i had a set of tein s tech springs on my ek, they made the car sit flatter through corners and were still comfy but not low enough in the end. Coilovers are going to give you a firmer ride but you will also have adjustability with height and usually damper as well which is handy so you can get the exact ride height you want. However i think you would be better off buying a decent set of shocks/springs rather than an entry level set of coilovers, for street use that is. If your going to track the car then go coilovers but get a decent set so they last

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    I think I'll go down the shocks/springs route, I'm after a sensible ride height (what would you recommend?)

Member Array
    Car:
    5th Gen Prelude
    I dont recommend springs/shocks just for the fact that you will not be able to get exactly the drop you want. It will more than likely be a compromise.

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 Civic em1
    I had bc's on my old car. They provide a rough ride in my opinion anyway. But they are very adjustable, I set it to lowest level and my car pretty much looked like it was crawling across the ground. You can adjust it to whatever height though. Other than that i had my car with them on it for 3 years with daily driving and there were no problems with them, except for the rough ride. I'm thinking about tein super streets, good quality and i heard they aren't so rough, but i just want it for daily driving. But i would go for coil overs over shocks and springs just because of the adjustability... my 2 cents...

If you aren't rolling in money just get king springs (does the job just like any other springs for less buck). Like a quarter of the price of coilovers. If your shocks still strong it'll last forever. Worst case the shocks blow, then find someone with a wrecked car and buy their shocks for cheap, or grab the cheap $50 shocks that ozhonda members sell every once in a while.

Member Array
    Car:
    5th Gen Prelude
    The harshness will have a lot to do with the stiffness of the springs as well as the shocks.

My GC sleeves have Eibach springs with 6.7 kg/mm front and 4.5 kg/mm rear springs.
    Compare that to ~4 kg/mm front and ~3 kg/mm rears its not a huge increase. That and the Tokico blue shocks do a very nice job with ride quality and a decent job with handling.

Member Array
    Car:
    370Z/DC5
    If you go with shocks and springs then you should get a set of koni shocks that can adjust the ride height from the lower perch. And then a set of lowered springs. As said above king springs will do the job and are quite cheap. If I were you I would still replace your stock shocks if you put lowered springs in. It's just best to do it right the first time. A set of height adjustable and damper adjustable Koni shocks with a set of king or even tein springs (which aren't much more) would be a good set up for you IMO.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Springs for looks, coilovers for performance.

Don't buy coilovers just to drop your car.

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    So the shocks/springs option is ideal for daily driving? Though I know of lots
    Of civics running coilovers for daily use.

DBG Krogoth Array
    Car:
    M35
    i've ran both shocks & springs and coilovers for my eg...while shocks & springs are good enough (provided they match with each other), coilovers offer more flexibility...
    Team Yum Cha Daily

DBG - A New Revolution in Car Modding

i reckon dont waste ure money on springs and just save up for coil overs