Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    Civic EK4

D16y1 vtec to engaging :(

Hey guys yes its me again!

I got my car running really good and i went to install a light to the vtec soli to see when it kicks in but the light didnt turn on so i fort maybe vtec isnt engaging and i was right. there is no signal coming from the ecu. ive check the wiring from the ecu 3 times.

ive got the vtec soli connected to pin a4 and the vtec oil pressure to d6 and the other one to ground. does it matter which one is ground? is this right?

ive checked oil level and ive ran 2 wires into the car with a switch and manually activated vtec when i was driving and that works well and u can hear the difference and it flys.

is there any other troubleshooting i can do to check it.

also there is no voltage at the vtec pressure switch should i try to replace this.

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    Civic EK4
    ideas anyone?

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by alessioo View Post
    ideas anyone?
    Can you revert the wiring to stock? So you can check if VTEC is engaging properly that way.. Then you can assume that your 'light' has dodgy wiring.
    I dont understand what the purpose of adding a light in is, what are you tryin' to do?

Member Array
    Car:
    b18c2+T Ej8

Check again for the wiring

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    Civic EK4
    Jccck thanks for the reply. the reason i connected the light was because my vtec wasnt engaging all wires are now stock.
    hmetro24 thanks also for the reply but as the title says D16y1 engine is a sohc and its a p28 ecu

Jccck thanks for the reply. the reason i connected the light was because my vtec wasnt engaging all wires are now stock.
    hmetro24 thanks also for the reply but as the title says D16y1 engine is a sohc and its a p28 ecu
    Its similar, he's showing you where the wires are located on your ecu. Ur ecu is obd1 hence why he showed a pic of an obd1 ecu and marked which pin is which etc.

You know if you want a clear and easy solution, take it to a mechanic and get the whole car scanned. Scanning it will identify any electrical problems from sensors to solenoids. That way, you will know whats wrong with your car so you know where to start fixing, rather than asking ozhonda.. Sometimes you just cant rely on forums man,

Thats in my opinion, i though have a d16y1 as well but with your problem, i do apologise that i cant help.. It happened to me once, right after i dropped it in.... Everytime i try to gun it and hit vtec, engine light always come on.. (it came on just after 5000rpm -thats when vtec is engaging) didnt hear vtec crossover at all.. (this was using a sri pod) - I then, took out the vtec solenoid plug, gave it a good clean with contact cleaner, then gently blew it out with air compressor.. worked affterwards.. lol maybe u should try that?

Sorry if that didnt help.. Did u try wiggling the solenoid socket/plug? lulz
    Last edited by jdmEG5; 15-07-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    Civic EK4
    hey man thanks for the reply. ive wired it all correct its just got me dumb founded. does it matter which pin you use for ground on the pressure switch.
    ive spoken to hondatec about it maybe ill just take it there. i gotta send some pics to ecu man of my p28 maybe he mite be able to tell whats wrong

hey man thanks for the reply. ive wired it all correct its just got me dumb founded. does it matter which pin you use for ground on the pressure switch.
    ive spoken to hondatec about it maybe ill just take it there. i gotta send some pics to ecu man of my p28 maybe he mite be able to tell whats wrong
    Do you have a mate that has an EG vti?? try swapping the ecu over.. Incase its not the ecu, you dont need to spend a good amount of money for an ecu ; i mean who knows your vtec solenoid is faulty?

Btw what oil are you using?

Member Array
    Car:
    b18c2+T Ej8
    Ground you can connect it to the chassis, All grounds goes to the the body(metal place)

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    Civic EK4
    i wish i had a mate with a vti. ive check the solenoid and it clicks when i connect power. ive got running in oil atm its like water thin as.
    its grounded good but does it matter with pin on the pressure switch

Member Array
    Car:
    b18c2+T Ej8
    Vtec wiring
    ECU Wiring For Obd1 ecu's
    vtec soleniod: Pin A4
    vtec pressure switch: Pin D6 the negative wire for the iol pressure switch must be grounded on the engine for vtech to engage.
    knock sensor: Pin D3

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I have a VTi sedan. Maybe we can catch up and we can do a quick swap to see if it works alright with my ECU.