Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    NHB DC2R + EURO

Assistance required: D16Y4 EK HATCH - B16A2 EM1 COUPE ENGINE TRANSPLANT

Reason for thread: Having issues after conversion and have not solved them seeking advice.

The specs: swapping my D16Y4 out of EK1 HATCH for a B16A2 out of an EM1 COUPE.

The questions:

-Is there any wiring issues which need to be swapped out?
    -Is there any additional sensors which needs to be taken into consideration to re-wire them in?
    -Has anyone encountered any issues with this exact transplant

Current issues:

-I have converted my EK Hatch (d16y4) into an EK Hatch with a b16a2 from an EM1, i have an idle issue atm and it is causing many problem such as when idle the rev's fluctuates in between 1,500-2,600 and performs this action constantly when driving the car doesn't jerk just revs at 2,600 when clutch is engaged. If the engine is restarted the car's idle changes and fluctuates from 1,500-2,100 also when driving the car Jerks when light acceleration is applied or when releasing accelerator. No check engine lights are evident.

Actions taken already to try resolve this issue:
    -Swapped out intakes now run CAI
    -Idle screw has been adjusted
    -TPS has been readjusted
    -Crome ECU installed and O2 Sensor disabled (This step Removed the CEL CODE FOR O2 SENSOR)
    -Cleaned throttle body and inspected all vacuum hoses for leaks
    -Swapped EM1 Engine harness and now use EK4 Harness
    -Swapped out alternator plug as the alternator was suited to the EM1 B16 3 Pin plug

Any advice would be greatly appreciated-Know anyone who can help location is SYDNEY

Swap ek4 ecu to see if it stabilisers the issue
    You need a o2 sensor to run / stable idle too

Member Array
    Car:
    NHB DC2R + EURO
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    Swap ek4 ecu to see if it stabilisers the issue
    You need a o2 sensor to run / stable idle too
    Thanks for the prompt reply mate, I cant run an EK4 ecu unfortuately my harness doesnt seem to suit the plugs, confusing as it seems.. so because im not running that o2 sensor could this be causing the issue even tho it is disabled from ecu?

Member Array
    Car:
    CP2 / EG5
    Pre face lift EK = OB2A and face lift = OBD2B

You need a wiring conversion harness if you EK4 ecu is pre face lift with your EM1 wiring.

Member Array
    Car:
    NHB DC2R + EURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai View Post

You need a wiring conversion harness if you EK4 ecu is pre face lift with your EM1 wiring.
    Thanks for the Info Tai, I was able to run a b18c7 ecu without using a conversion harness and when I used that the car would idle high at around 2,700 but from memory it wouldnt fluctuate like the Crome ecu I'm running now however the revs would lag when coming off the gas and placing it in neutral for e.g set of lights the light goes green so I chuck It in neutral and begin slowing down however my revs were stuck at whatever I had placed it in neutral then when come to a complete stop the revs would begin to lower to an idle of 2,600.

Is this easy to understand fellas or would you guys want some more documentation?

Member Array
    Car:
    NHB DC2R + EURO
    Swapped out my Crome
    Ecu for a b18c7 one which fit and worked. The idle issue is not apparent and it returns to 1,300 after acceleration is dropped however a new issue has raised with using this ecu.

Copied from new post in technical section

(Installed b18c7 standard ecu into my EK with a b16a2 drives well however when first start up I get no CEL codes and the car takes longer to return to idle once placed in neutral after accelerating but when I turn off and start back up a CEL code is up (02 sensor) and the car drives normal with the revs returning to 1,300 when placed in neutral my questions are :

-How come the CEL code doesn't pop up right away on first start up?

-after driving without the CEL why do the revs take Longer To get back down to idle?

-when driving with the CEL how come the car drives normal and revs are brought down as soon as acceleration is released?)

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    dunno much about the o2 sensor but id be thinking the o2 cel may not be showing up for a while because they need to get to operating temprature before they work so when your car/o2 is cold it will run in open loop, then once you have gotten the car up to temp it tries to go into closed loop and notices your sensor is not working properly and reports the cel.

I dont think your meant to run a b18c7 ecu on a b16a2 i was under the impression you need to match your ecu to your engine so wouldnt you need to use a late model ek4 ecu?

Member Array
    Car:
    NHB DC2R + EURO
    Quote Originally Posted by TbM View Post
    dunno much about the o2 sensor but id be thinking the o2 cel may not be showing up for a while because they need to get to operating temprature before they work so when your car/o2 is cold it will run in open loop, then once you have gotten the car up to temp it tries to go into closed loop and notices your sensor is not working properly and reports the cel.

I dont think your meant to run a b18c7 ecu on a b16a2 i was under the impression you need to match your ecu to your engine so wouldnt you need to use a late model ek4 ecu?

Lol yeah ek4 ecu's don't seem to fit :/ in the harness but the b18 one fits straight in lol not sure and I have fitted a d16 series thermostat which I have heard won't allow the car to reach normal operating temp as it needs to be 190 degree however the car is only reaching 150 degree at normal operating temp with the d16 thermostat

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    If they dont fit then you probably need a conversion harness like Tai said,
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai View Post

The b18c7 one probably fits because its the same obd gen as your harness were as it would seem the ek4 one you have isnt.

Are those temps the readings from a water temp sensor or what the thermostat is rated at? and what measurement Fahrenheit or celsius?

Member Array
    Car:
    NHB DC2R + EURO
    If they dont fit then you probably need a conversion harness like Tai said,

The b18c7 one probably fits because its the same obd gen as your harness were as it would seem the ek4 one you have isnt.

Are those temps the readings from a water temp sensor or what the thermostat is rated at? and what measurement Fahrenheit or celsius?
    Should be in celsius and I was told the thermostat was staying on 150 not rising when it should rise to 190 etc

When the conversion was done we used an ek4 harness to install as the em1 harness needed the chassis harness to be swapped over so instead of getting an em1 chassis harness we just used an ek4 harness

Does this make
    Any sense or does it sound like a b18c7 harness was used instead of ek4 harness lol can anyone scope out ecu model numbers compared to years or provide pics of ecu's and their connection style for me

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    If those are temp readings in celsius from a sensor then you have big problems. Im thinking they are the opening temps in fahrenheit not a reading from a sensor.

Are all the parts used from a facelift model? eg ecu harnesses and engine, i was under the impression they all had to be from the same obd series

Member Array
    Car:
    NHB DC2R + EURO
    If those are temp readings in celsius from a sensor then you have big problems. Im thinking they are the opening temps in fahrenheit not a reading from a sensor.

Are all the parts used from a facelift model? eg ecu harnesses and engine, i was under the impression they all had to be from the same obd series
    I dont see why all parts had to be facelift lol I have an em1 engine b16a2 with an ek4 engine harness and am now using a b18c7 ecu lmfao

And as for readings I had it plugged into my ecu and connected to a pc and it was reading 150 maybe farenheight I'll ask