Thread: spare key

spare key

i've recently bought a euro 04 and have only received 1 key with the car as the owner said he can not find the spare. the question i've got is can a spare key be cut from the one i have or does it require a chip? all i want to be able to do is at worst be able to open the door.

also, i've seen tsx keys on ebay which they say have a chip in them. is this key of any use if it's cut? or can it be programmed by someone other then honda as they can be quite expensive. thanks for your help

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 08 CU2
    From what I know you can get it cut but then you will only be able to open the door. To be able to start the engine you will need to get the key from Honda who then will program the key for your car.

You need a chip(immobilised) key to start your car. A normal key can only lock/unlock the doors.

TSX keys will not work with CL9's, only CU2's.

you can get one from mr minit or those key cutting shops in the shopping center, they have keys with chip. If you want a honda key with the remote and all, then you need to get one from Honda spares, check with these mr minit how much they charge for their service if you bring your own key.

Did that with my civic last time, Honda charge heaps expensive for the same item.

I also try to get them to duplicate a remote for my copen, but it doesnt work. Key with immo works for the copen though. They didnt charge me as it didnt work, got my money back.

Member Array
    Car:
    2005 Accord Euro Luxury
    Dealer price for a cut and programmed key is around $300.
    This is why I only have 1 key as well (bastards)

You better not lose that last key or you'll be in for a lot more than $300 ;p

Quote Originally Posted by I CU2 View Post
    You better not lose that last key or you'll be in for a lot more than $300 ;p
    lol.... that would be indeed penny wise, pound foolish...

I did all the key and shit cause the 2nd hand EJ8 I bought only comes with 1 key, only to sell it off 3 months later.