Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gearbox swap

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic

Gearbox swap

Is a dc2r gearbox swap into an ek vti-r legal?

also, is it necessary to notify insurance of such a mod? gearbox, lightened flywheel and sports/style clutch?

thanks guys in NSW

Legal

And no - does not increase power to weight ratio at all. Just inform your insurance company and give them a receipt if you want them to cover the gearbox/parts at your expense via increased premium or excess

Member Array
    Car:
    its a bike!
    its just a replacement part in there eyes, not neccessarily a 'modification' its not visibly noticeable either , personally i dont think you would need to.
    its the ice cream man !

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    cool thanks guys

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    following up on this, i spoke to an engineer today, who provides ADR Compliance Services in Sydney, and now i'm convinced otherwise.

i spoke to him about a brakes upgrade, which was a wilwood 4 piston job.. i was told that not only is it illegal unless engineered, your insurance is also null & void!

Any mod which is not an extra which can be fitted from factory is considered a modification and "any mod requires engineering"..
    Last edited by AndreaCivic; 09-08-2011 at 09:32 AM. Reason: names

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    I don't think coppers will even know you would have a dc2r gearbox,

bigger brakes def needs mod plate.
    無限 The Form is in the Function 無限
    teamGROUNDzero

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    im not too worried about the police. i'm more worried about the insurance being null & void.
    if you did swap the gearbox and happened to cause an accident, there is every chance know 1 would notice. Let's say there was $100K damages though, i wouldnt feel comfortable knowing i haven't had my gearbox engineered.
    im sorry but thats just not a risk im willing to take guys.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    There is no reason to need a gearbox engineered. Especially considering its an OEM Honda part, it doesn't increase power.

Sent from my custard cannon like Peter North.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    its an oem part for an integra not a civic.
    brakes dont increase power but they still require engineering

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    ok, i spoke to the same engineer and while he was not able to tell me "you dont have to get it engineered" from what i understood and as most of you guys have stated on here - nobody will notice it.
    i've gone ahead and purchased/ordered the gearbox.
    cheers guys
    Last edited by AndreaCivic; 09-08-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaCivic View Post
    its an oem part for an integra not a civic.
    brakes dont increase power but they still require engineering
    Not entirely true - if the brakes came from the same chassis (EK/EG and DC are considered the same chassis) then they can fall under "replacement part" and require no engineering....much like replacing your brake pads for example does not require engineering.

But if they come from a totally different chassis or larger/smaller than brakes on your chassis type , as required to your engine size/power/weight , then yes you will require engineering.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    Not entirely true - if the brakes came from the same chassis (EK/EG and DC are considered the same chassis) then they can fall under "replacement part" and require no engineering....much like replacing your brake pads for example does not require engineering.

But if they come from a totally different chassis or larger/smaller than brakes on your chassis type , as required to your engine size/power/weight , then yes you will require engineering.
    interesting, would love to know the source of this information