Accord transmission - how reliable?

I'm thinking of buying a 98/99 (series 6) Accord but have read reviews that question the durability of the automatic transmission.

Is this a common problem.

At what mileage could I expect problems.

Is it an expensive fix.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

they are ok as long as the transmission oil is changed regualry and its a good idea to get a transmission oil filter put in.thats what i did.

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    yes it is a common problem, look up peoples reviews online, honda even recalled them in a different country, cant remember if it was canada or usa.

my dads one crapped out at 170k kms (V6 model), they are expensive to rebuild about $2000+
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by grifty View Post
    yes it is a common problem, look up peoples reviews online, honda even recalled them in a different country, cant remember if it was canada or usa.

my dads one crapped out at 170k kms (V6 model), they are expensive to rebuild about $2000+
    It's the USA, issues with Honda Automatic tranny's are well documented, oil change must be done regularly,
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord V6
    Quote Originally Posted by grifty View Post

Hey mate, i have v6L also crapped out now around 17ks

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord V6
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredoops View Post
    It's the USA, issues with Honda Automatic tranny's are well documented, oil change must be done regularly,
    I Reckon! And also have to use Honda genuine tranny oil, otherwise, if you use other brands, you will wait for your tranny give you some sh**ts soon~

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    Quote Originally Posted by Greycliffe View Post
    I'm thinking of buying a 98/99 (series 6) Accord but have read reviews that question the durability of the automatic transmission.

Is this a common problem.

At what mileage could I expect problems.

Is it an expensive fix.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    get a mechanic who knows these cars to inspect before you buy, they will be your best bet.

What mileage? how long is a piece of string? Your guess is as good as mine

and Yes it is an expensive fix.
    くまくま━━━━━━ヽ( ・(ェ)・ )ノ━━━━━━ !!

I think it was mostly the V6 which had the transmission issue due to the extra torque. The 2.3L was fine from what I have read.
    Why not get a manual just in case

mine is still fine at 190k

Got the inline4 on the second box, been rebuilt once cost 3grand now two years down the track needs rebuilding again, sometimes the gears are smooth, other times it feels like slamming into a brick wall whilst changing, best bet is an auto to manual conversion IMO but this is also expensive....