Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    dc5r

Cold Air Intake's filter potentially exposed to water in rainy conditions

Hey guys, i've recently bought and installed a cold air intake and the filter is positioned near the wheel which exposes it to water during rainy conditions. Is there any way of readjusting the pipes so water doesn't get in the filter? Or is there a way of preventing the filter from exposure to water?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0304.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	19401  

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    two points here ...

1. goto honda and order a new wheel arch liner - that will enclose the filter off

2. the entire filter and pipe has to be COMPLETELY submerged to ANY damage to the engine
    small droplets of water and small amounts of water will not hinder the engine - it may even lower intake temps
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    You need to get yourself the inner guard that ^^^ The Saint stated above. This boxes off the filter and you'll have no problems unless you drive through half a meter of standing water.

The way it is now is not good. Even in rainy conditions your tyre will be pumping water on to your filter. ie not good at all.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    A honda
    should be fine if u drive normally. i had a cai with no guard liner and a velocity stack at the front bar. no problems at all driving in the rain. just dont gun it
    TeamDIY
    You gotta pay to play!
    Built, not bought

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by meatball View Post
    should be fine if u drive normally. i had a cai with no guard liner and a velocity stack at the front bar. no problems at all driving in the rain. just dont gun it
    +1 rep

and get a injen hydro filter from jdm yard it will help aswell.
    無限 The Form is in the Function 無限
    teamGROUNDzero

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Quote Originally Posted by meatball View Post
    At the front bar as in pointing forward? If so it would be drawing in falling rain droplets from the front, this has nothing to do with the OP's situation above. In his case the tyre will be literally pumping water on to the filter, as in a constant stream of water. A much worse scenario.
    Deano.

My Cai sat like that, but I cut up the gaurd liner so that it 'boxs' in the pod. Cause I couldn't use the full liner.
    How often should u change the pod if its abit dirty.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    dc5r
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSaint View Post
    two points here ...

1. goto honda and order a new wheel arch liner - that will enclose the filter off

2. the entire filter and pipe has to be COMPLETELY submerged to ANY damage to the engine
    small droplets of water and small amounts of water will not hinder the engine - it may even lower intake temps
    How much do you think the wheel arch liner at Honda dealer will cost? I was thinking of using mud flaps but i dont think its useful in this situation.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    i had a pipe in my corolla that pointed straight down under the car, and was only about 80mm off the ground. i didnt run a filter. i never ever ever had problems, even driving in torrential rain.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2 teg
    If i was you i will get a mud guard or get a short ram intake , Why ?? On sunny days the CAI will be fine, she will whistle like a champ but as soon as it rains your in big trouble she will choke big time , you might get away with it for a while but there will be a day you will Hydro lock , I bought a hydro- shield for my cai aswell. That repels water not makes it water proof. How do i know or this my car is lowered so i took my mud guards off so my wheels dont rub. Next week i bought A CAI, One day i hit v-tec on a rainy day made a funny noise ( hydro lock) drove normal and still hydro locked. My brother a qualified mechanic said if you keep driving gydro locking all the time it will lead to engine damage , Oil starts getting all milky leads too bad stuff.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    you do realise that hydro locked means the motor wont even turn over. Hence the "locked"

you cant "keep driving hydrolocked" because a little bit of water in the engine will simply be burnt up.

In order to hydrolock a motor it needs to ingest literally litres of water.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2 teg
    i just got burned =]wow your right i just checked google. My mistake. I dont know what happen to my CAI then. Im guessing the filter was soaked wet to the bone and couldnt breath properly.