Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

EK rear 6x9's rattle

Hey guys,

I've upgraded my sound system in my EK hatch and the thing just won't stop rattling.
    At first I thought it was the number plate and rear wing, but I tightened that all up and stuck some foam in there and my 6x9's are still rattling like crazy in the boot.

It seems to be coming from the rear parcel shelf but I can't seem to pinpoint the problem. I've tried tightening screws, shoving bits of foam and cardboard in some gaps and even making sure the wires under the 6x9's aren't vibrating against the plastic interior.

lol it seems to rattle more in the cold :S

HELP PLEASE!
    99 EK yo.

Member Array
    Car:
    DMC-12
    i think that might be the plastic studs on the parcel shelf. try wrapping it with electrical tape so it will sit tighter.

my eg does the same, haven't been bothered to suss it out yet but if I figure it out ill let you know

Member Array
    Car:
    ek1 mother****er
    my ek does the same and it dosent even have the parcel shelf...i think its part of the trim near where the rear seats are held in, if i hold the trim tight it seems to dampen the rattle abit, but i havent pulled it apart to check what it is yet
    THAT SHIT WAS BANANAS

Quote Originally Posted by outatime View Post
    i think that might be the plastic studs on the parcel shelf. try wrapping it with electrical tape so it will sit tighter.
    Tried the plastic studs, but it seemed that pushing down on the speaker cover (like how redefine is saying) stopped the rattling. I even shoved paper in all the gaps and it still doesn't stop it.

hmmm i'll continue my investigation
    99 EK yo.

Member Array
    Car:
    DMC-12
    have you tried removing the new speakers and see if the rattle stops?

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Quote Originally Posted by japa_VTEC View Post
    Tried the plastic studs, but it seemed that pushing down on the speaker cover (like how redefine is saying) stopped the rattling. I even shoved paper in all the gaps and it still doesn't stop it.

hmmm i'll continue my investigation
    Remove the speaker cover, if the rattle stops you have found your problem, then just simply put something between the parts that are vibrating, paper wont really stop vibrations you need foam or rubber to properly stop rattles, i often use cheap/dodgy double sided tape as its usualy foam and its easy to apply and remove.
    Last edited by TbM; 31-07-2011 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Added more info when i got off work

Member Array
    Car:
    EVO
    simple process off 'elimination' then 'fixing where needed'. sounds obvious, because it is. take out the whole rear (trims, parcel shelf. speaker grills, speakers themselves, anything else 'back there') one at a time. eventually you'll find the culprit.
    /////ALPINE - )))morel - dYnaudio - \\Image Dynamics// - audison - optima - co|\|ection audison - stinger - Dynamat

i've tried the speaker covers, not them. If i remove the speaker then it doesn't rattle, obviously because there's nothing rattling it
    99 EK yo.

Member Array
    Car:
    EVO
    how are they mounted?
    /////ALPINE - )))morel - dYnaudio - \\Image Dynamics// - audison - optima - co|\|ection audison - stinger - Dynamat

Member Array
    Car:
    DMC-12
    Quote Originally Posted by japa_VTEC View Post
    i've tried the speaker covers, not them. If i remove the speaker then it doesn't rattle, obviously because there's nothing rattling it
    could it be the wires rubbing against the plastic trims? or the screws that came with the speakers are too small or loose?

Member Array
    Car:
    Dap Ek
    Is the speakers mounted with all 4 screws?
    I only put 3 screws in cause the last one was a bitch and now it rattles sometimes