Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: silicon sealer

Member Array

silicon sealer

hey guys im doing a rear wiper delete and for a peace of mind im going to seal the opening with a silicon glue to avoid leakage

what sort of silicone glue that i can pick up from bunnings would you recommend? because i went there and the second i told the guy "im after a silicone glue for my car" he told me to go to an auto store.. i went to repco and sca and they got nothing..

are the urethane ones any good? or any particular brand that is superior for auto purposes?

thanks

naturally i finished my set.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK fo shizzle
    dont you just use rubber cap to plug it off?
    would be hard to undo this mod if you were to glue it eh?
    "has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?"

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Just get a blanking grommet from an auto store. That way you can put the wiper back if you ever want to. if youre worried about it looking different, colour match it.

Silicon wont cover the hole.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    ive got the rubber grommet, just want to glue it from underneath as well so it doesnt leak, as i said, for a peace of mind

im gonna use the glue for other purposes as well, like for the tailight gasket etc etc...

so what brand/type of silicone should i buy for this purpose?

cheers

Member Array
    oh its for a dc2r btw so its not about colour matching it!

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    It wont leak. I've done it on 4 cars, and on 4 cars, it hasn't leaked.

But if you're desperate for something, just get marine grade clear silicon from any parts or hardware store.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Ozhonda Subscriber Array
    Car:
    DC5R with a JDM K20A
    I'm going to use glass sealant in my boot to plug a leak. Bernard said if you use that it should stop the leak and you should be able to peel it off to remove it in the future. (My leak is coming from a plastic clip, so I need the seal to be temporary yet effective.)

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    use marine grade polyurethane, either bostik or sika. Will bond to rubber much better than silicon will. Can be purchased from bunnings etc

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    Sikaflex is where it's at. Most you find at bunnings and such will be in a tube that you'd need a gun for but there is a variant that is available in a regular squeezy tube.

The stuff is abit more expensive than your regular clear silicons but is well worth it.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I also use Sikaflex, have also used it for my front lip attachment, and my friend has used it to fill his engine mounts lol. Great stuff...

imo id use a mirror glue just because it sticks to glass. but u can always just go to bunnings and punch in the materials in one of those touch screen things in the glue section and see whats good to use

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    There are a few types of sikaflex that will adhere to glass and non-porous surfaces.

My local bunnings doesn't have a touch screen computer in the glue section (i wish...) but each brand of glue had their own little pamphlets hanging around that had a cross reference graph where you could have a look at which surfaces you needed to stick sh*t to and then find the corresponding type of sika.