Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by I CU2 View Post
    Base German cars are only bought because of the badge status, well that's what I think when I see one on the road. They aint foolin anybody.
    Wouldn't say this is a base model (its not on small wheels with minimal features) and the 3-series has always had a good rep, especially for handling. Aren't many rear wheel drive mid-size cars that aren't from the luxury car makers.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Base German cars are only bought because of the badge status, well that's what I think when I see one on the road. They aint foolin anybody.
    Status... What you said can be said about us who buy Honda's over Toyotas............
    Or people who buy Audi's over VW's
    Or people who buy Lexus IS200's

Look base German cars exist because they are base executive company vehicles... in Europe. Just because it's got a small engine, doesn't mean it's the base model, not everyone's power whore. The 2.0L I4 is more than adequate for city driving. You go find another European mid-size thats not FWD or AWD thats not a BMW 3 or a Merc C, go on... I'll wait.

For Australia you cant get a base model (Unless you are willing to wait for 6-8 month for a custom order form where ever it's made from, and dealer will refuse to negotiate a "base model"), the lowest model 3 BMW stock in Australia is the Innovation pack, which contains all the mod-cons to make it a rather luxurious vehicle matching if not bettering the CU2.
    Last edited by Fredoops; 31-07-2011 at 10:37 PM.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Mercedes E class is the standard German taxi and the C class is for executives over there...?

You buy the car for the badge more than anything else. It wasn't that long ago when a M-B C180 came standard plastic hubcaps, wind-your-own rear windows, optional dead cow and no CD player. The BMW 318i was about the same.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Mercedes E class is the standard German taxi and the C class is for executives over there...?

You buy the car for the badge more than anything else. It wasn't that long ago when a M-B C180 came standard plastic hubcaps, wind-your-own rear windows, optional dead cow and no CD player. The BMW 318i was about the same.
    look up "Mittelklasse" or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_executive_car
    Last edited by Fredoops; 31-07-2011 at 11:29 PM.
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Quote Originally Posted by Fredoops View Post
    "the nameplate itself is part of the value proposition".

Though, it's probably the 320i drivers I see on the road who de-badge their cars and stick a M3 badge onto it instead who are the real badge wannabes.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    "the nameplate itself is part of the value proposition".

Though, it's probably the 320i drivers I see on the road who de-badge their cars and stick a M3 badge onto it instead who are the real badge wannabes.
    How is that any worse than people sticking type R badges on their honda's?

How is that any worse than people sticking type R badges on their honda's?
    They're badge wannabes too.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    They're badge wannabes too.
    Exactly, every brand has those type of "fanboys". You cant discredit a vehicle just because of a few idiots can we?

Some times it's also a financial choice, BMW finance had done a very good job on packaging the deal with it's guaranteed trade-in etc. So if you are looking at either a leased or company car, a 3 series is probably a better deal financially compared to say.. A top of range v6 accord.

Also, on other parst of the world, it's cheaper to buy a BMW 3 than an accord euro outright, just pick up a UK version of Top Gear mag and you'll see what I mean.
    Last edited by Fredoops; 01-08-2011 at 12:08 AM.

Some times it's also a financial choice, BMW finance had done a very good job on packaging the deal with it's guaranteed trade-in etc. So if you are looking at either a leased or company car, a 3 series is probably a better deal financially compared to say.. A top of range v6 accord.
    A lot of people buy BMW's on finance these days, it's fine if you pay it off but watch out if you don't! I think it's these people who try to live above their means.

http://www.news.com.au/money/money-m...#ixzz1ERvrOiK6

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro CL9 2003
    The Euro can Vtec, the BMW cannot.

1:0

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by djpro1 View Post
    The Euro can Vtec, the BMW cannot.

1:0

BMW has VANOS.... which is a Continously Variable VTEC.

Member Array
    Car:
    zenki CL9
    get the BMW, you should have bought a luxury accord to begin with then you would not be having this dilemma