Member Array
    Car:
    Civic Type R

Need some info on EP3R parts.. (test drove today)

Hi Guys,

I'm currently looking to buy a EP3R for daily to work, I would like to know the availablility on tear and wear parts in Aus for this car..

Such as:
    Brake rotor size.. estimate pricing?
    Clutch type.. estimate pricing

Would you recommend this car as a daily or maintenance is too much hassle?
    I really like this car, but other side I'm a bit worried on the reliability of it due to its age..

Any advice would be deeply appreciated~
    Last edited by keepitlow; 31-07-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R
    Brake rotor is the same size as dc5r, 300mm, if u go jdmyard it'll cost roughly around 270-420 depends on what brand (they are slotted)
    Clutch, im pretty sure u can get it from toda, jdmyard normal price nothing ridiculous
    maintenance is cheap, same as any normal car i'd say, oils and stuff u can get it from honda parts

Moderator Array
    Car:
    s2k,ED,EG
    Brake rotor: like what Jeffreymui said $270-420 depending on what you want.
    Clutch:Keep in mind changing a clutch on a K series required a bit more than half a day to do the job price varies depending on workshop I got mine changed with clutch cost around $900-1100.
    I use my ep3 as a daily at one stage it was awsome =) maintenance is like any hondas cheap. Keep in mind if the ep3 your buying the owner hasn't changed the engine mounts be prepared to change it to.

Reliability wise, mine has been great. I use it as a daily car, driven 6 days a week over the last 10.5mths. Not a single mechanical fault yet, apart from the slight oil burning it has been fantastic. Awesome little car to drive.

Aftermarket parts, I/H/E mods, suspension components are readily available online, some here, japan, more in the U.S.

OEM stuff like lights, panels, interior trim etc. Seem to be a little harder to come by. Some parts can be found locally, if you're lucky. If not try searching yahoo japan.

Maintenance wise, as stated above fairly cheap, like any standard car.

Hmm, I'll be looking into a new clutch soon... Thanks for the above estimates Perry & jeffreymui!

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic Type R
    Hi Guys,

thank you so much for the information, I'm going to look at one tommolo 2002 model with around 55k on the clock.
    can you share some idea of how much changing engine mounts cost and how do you know it needs to be changed?

Sorry I'm total noob when coming to Vtec Hondas, my previous cars has being wrx and now evo for my weekender.

OEM second hand ones, I've seen go for about $250.

Aftermarket ones can range from $325+ http://www.rhdjapan.com/mugen-engine...egra-dc5-52522 <<< Mugen OEM replacements.

Billet replacement ones can range from $400-800, depending on which brand and where you source them from, Hasport/Innovative/Avid etc

I sourced a set of brand new Hasport ones for $404 AUD delivered through ebay.

Cost of installing??? I'm not too sure, it could take around 2hrs maybe through a local mechanic... So anywhere from $180 or more as an estimate for labour? Obviously try go somewhere who has worked on either an EP3 or DC5 before. It looks like a fairly easy DIY, which can take anywhere from 2-8hrs (which I'll attempting soon).

As for the wear on the OEM ones. Look for any cracking/splitting of the rubber. The drivers side one is filled with liquid, which normally bursts or leaks if it has failed.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic Type R
    Thank you for the info

I think I know what to enquire about when I go check out the car tommolo!

Member Array
    Car:
    ®
    I can guarantee the ep3 makes a great daily as all others have said. Just do routine checks/replacements often and it will be better than any other grocery getter out there. Another thing to look out for besides the engine mounts on a 55thou km ep3 is the o2 sensors, they will soon be needed to be replaced if they are original. I'm not sure on the cost but it wont be too much.

Member Array
    Car:
    Vonda R
    o2 sensor youd be looking at around 300-370 depending on who you get it from. i've already changed my primary 02 sensor, not too sure when the secondary ones gonna go bust. im suprised on aussie roads my mounts are still in tact for the last 17000kms and my clutch is still good hasnt slipped yet.
    SPAM|WERKS
    got you covered with a johnoroll

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic Type R
    Hi Guys,

Today I went to test drive the EP3 at a import dealership, what can I say.. this car is so nice and easy to drive compared to my Evo.
    Definitely daily friendly and yes feels good. I was so shock how light and smooth the gearbox and clutch is.. even up till now I'm still in shock

Thank to the everyone who gave me valuable information, now its all come down to the price and my budget of what I can afford for a daily.. hope to join the EP3 family soon maybe!