Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GAB coilovers?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8

GAB coilovers?

hey peeps, are these good for budget coilovers?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GAB-HA-Se...0#ht_874wt_905

I dont wanna spend much, as its a daily, an dont plan on tracking it more than once a year.....

Or i can either go for BWR coilovers for similar price from usa...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BWR-S...#ht_2214wt_939
    Last edited by mugen_ctr; 01-08-2011 at 01:39 PM.
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Hey man, I was tossing up between these two also. GAB make a quality product just like most stuff from Jap land, but the thing that turned me away from them is that they are not base adjustable, so when you change the height, it changes the spring rates.

Can't vouch for ride or handling for the BWR but they defiantly seem to be good quality and bang for buck!

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    thx for reply, i didnt reliaze Gab were like that... Definite gonna order my BWR coilovers tonight than

I do realize no one has em in aust, but maybe i can change that around lol

cheers
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    Quote Originally Posted by vtecing View Post
    Hey man, I was tossing up between these two also. GAB make a quality product just like most stuff from Jap land, but the thing that turned me away from them is that they are not base adjustable, so when you change the height, it changes the spring rates.

Can't vouch for ride or handling for the BWR but they defiantly seem to be good quality and bang for buck!
    The spring rate doesn't change, but the amount of bump and droop travel from static ride height does (sometimes confusingly called preload, when a spring is preloaded all you are doing is manipulating the amount of droop/bump travel, the spring rate remains unchanged)

Quote Originally Posted by mugen_ctr View Post
    thx for reply, i didnt reliaze Gab were like that... Definite gonna order my BWR coilovers tonight than

cheers
    A single spring perch adjustment isn't really a huge disadvantage if the damper is decent and has sufficient stroke. The overwhelming majority of true race shocks (JRZ, Moton, AST, Dynamic Suspension....) are only adjustable by a single spring perch, but they often have very large travel available and external reservoirs to help with more travel (the gas and separator piston are in the reservoir, not taking up space within the shock as in a TDM, JDM etc. monotube). So often the amount of shock stroke available in a cheap monotube damper is so small that the height must be adjustable with a separate mechanism that doesn't affect shock travel because otherwise the very short stroke shock will be bottoming or topping out constantly.

So I would get the GABs and set them to a reasonable height rather than those junky BWRs.

Member Array
    Car:
    2010 cu2 euro
    Quote Originally Posted by mugen_ctr View Post

cheers
    The Gab's I am getting have the adjustable base. GAB ss. But they are double the cost of the ha's.
    Last edited by blabla; 01-08-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chargeR View Post

So I would get the GABs and set them to a reasonable height rather than those junky BWRs.
    Any reason why u say the bwr are junk

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    Quote Originally Posted by vtecing View Post
    Any reason why u say the bwr are junk
    Calling them 'junky' was probably a bit unfair, I honestly have no idea whether they are good or bad, they could be filled with cream cheese for all I know. They probably are. However a manufacturer can only spend so much money on awesome 6061 Al alloy top mounts, forged aluminium bracketry and anodizing before you run out of money to develop and manufacture quality shock internals. Take a look at THIS thread and THIS thread, obviously only internet hearsay but still not encouraging. If there was some evidence of warranty or a good looking shock dyno then I would consider them, but there isn't. Thus based solely on a name I prefer the Gab coilovers, and because they are red

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    GAB's are great quality coilovers, mate has it in his EG and loves it.

We bought it through the BYP boys so PM fatboyz39 if you get any issues ordering them in. Great prices this guy wouldn't rip you off.
    無限 The Form is in the Function 無限
    teamGROUNDzero

Member Array
    Car:
    2010 cu2 euro
    Quote Originally Posted by DC2-PWR View Post
    GAB's are great quality coilovers, mate has it in his EG and loves it.

We bought it through the BYP boys so PM fatboyz39 if you get any issues ordering them in. Great prices this guy wouldn't rip you off.
    X2 getting mine of them also...

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, EK4
    GABs are great for their price.

Member Array
    Car:
    accord
    Just make sure the GABs your getting are from the Japan company, which I don't think exists anymore. I was gonna order some off ebay till I found out they were from GAB malaysia, which has nothing to do with GAB Japan..2 diff companies and products, they just stole the name.

http://eightgc2.forumup.com/about6024-eightgc2.html

Seems like if its from Singapore = made in taiwan version.
    Last edited by Rudy; 02-08-2011 at 05:43 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Just make sure the GABs your getting are from the Japan company, which I don't think exists anymore. I was gonna order some off ebay till I found out they were from GAB malaysia, which has nothing to do with GAB Japan..2 diff companies and products, they just stole the name.

http://eightgc2.forumup.com/about6024-eightgc2.html

Seems like if its from Singapore = made in taiwan version.
    Like I posted in my previous post, if you get any dramas finding the legit GAB coilovers pm fatboyz39, he'll get you the real deal without the concern. Unless you want to risk buying things it's up to you.
    無限 The Form is in the Function 無限
    teamGROUNDzero