Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    JDM S15

Competition Clutch, any good?

Hey Guys!

I did settle on getting an Exedy Heavy Duty Clutch, but i saw some posts on s2ki with people saying the 'Competition Clutch' is good. I'm still very confused on what clutch to get. i want to make sure i get the best suited for me. I do drive harsh and clutch dump here and there. But i do want to have something that's not going to be a B*tch to use in peak hour start-stop traffic. Also, see people replacing fly wheels too. Really confused on this topic and not really happy to buy a clutch/flywheel yet as i'm not comfortable that i'm choosing the right one.

http://www.competitionclutch.com/products/s2000/

Any Help would be appreciated.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    you say you do hard clutch dumping, if you have a competition clutch, and you drop it at high revs, theres a chance you could destroy the gearbox. The heavy duty will be fine, and better for daily driving, especially forpeak hour traffic.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM S15
    Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    you say you do hard clutch dumping, if you have a competition clutch, and you drop it at high revs, theres a chance you could destroy the gearbox. The heavy duty will be fine, and better for daily driving, especially forpeak hour traffic.
    Makes sense, ok then what about flywheel? also my main concern is my clutch at the moment has a lot of friction in the sense of pushing in and releasing squeeks and growls like metal sound. I've already replaced replaced master cylider and slave cylinder with new OEM and still does it. So i'm assuming it's the clutch itself? the release bearing or thrust bearing i think it's called? i also need someone to trust with the labour work. i dont want to pay Essendon Honda $880 for labour.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    could be the release bearing. dunno if s2000 run a spigot bearing or bush, but it could be that, however, shoulda been changed when the clutch was.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    You're over thinking this. Just buy the Exedy HD and have it replaced. The kit will come with a new bearing and you can ask the mechanic to grease the fork when he does the job. Also there is a procedure for making sure the push rod on the slave cylinder is not worn or grinding but I'd assume this was replaced when you replaced the slave.

As to flywheels, if your current clutch is not slipping badly chances are that your flywheel is fine. Traditionally you would resurface/machine a flywheel but with the S2000 it is recommended to inspect it and if it's ok, reuse it. If it is cracked or shows hot spots you should replace. As I said, I doubt this is the case with yours.
    Last edited by AusS2000; 01-08-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM S15
    Ok, i just called up these guys: http://www.australianbrakesandclutch.com.au/?page_id=15

Got a quote for 750 on parts and 600 labour. 1350 all up which includes flywheel machine. decent?

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM S15
    Got a quote from these guys as well: http://zedzclutchandbrake.com.au/contact

740 for the part and 700 for the labour includes machine of flywheel. i then told him about the quote from the post above and he dropped price for parts to 710 and said to take it to the above to install because it's a bastard to install. and he wont drop the price on labour. hrmm.. 600 is still soo much money to get a clutch installed

S2Krazy Array
    I have Comp Stage 4 Clutch.
    If you're putting around town, its fine, but if you want to shift extremely quick, its not the best option out there. Have a search on s2ki, particularly the FI section to find similarly comments regarding the CC Stage 4 / 5 clutches.
    --------------------------------------
    PM's Turned Off

Prelude - Sold.
    S2000 - Sold.
    NSX - Sold.
    F355 - Coming...

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM S15
    Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    I have Comp Stage 4 Clutch.
    If you're putting around town, its fine, but if you want to shift extremely quick, its not the best option out there. Have a search on s2ki, particularly the FI section to find similarly comments regarding the CC Stage 4 / 5 clutches.
    i just read a thread with the plates snapping on the CC. lol. Exedy HD it is. i think 710 is reasonable considering the lowest i found online is 800, not including shipping. i was thinking upgrade flywheel while i'm at it, which is supposed to help with quickshifting? don't know if it's that much of a difference though, and which flywheel would be good. i want to make sure i do it once and proper. invest money into the cars mechanics before cosmetics

dude, you're from the northern suburbs right?
    call JAK motorworks, Edge motorworks or All Sparks performance.. I got quoted 350-500.

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM S15
    Quote Originally Posted by JN7 View Post
    call JAK motorworks, Edge motorworks or All Sparks performance.. I got quoted 350-500.
    yeh i am dude. sweet thanks for that. I'll give em a call tomorrow. have you had anywork done from them though?

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM S15
    Quote Originally Posted by JN7 View Post
    Just called up JAK Motorworks, got quoted 550 for labour. i wish it was 350

The guy did seem very cluey though.