Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    GTI /Tiguan/CU2
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    How the hell did he get a Scirocco?!?!!? I am looking for one to buy!

Edit: Was through SEVS.
    http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread....900-Drive-Away

The Siroccos in UK and NZ are on 1 year waiting list... i think pre-orders are being taken at VW dealers locally.. this importer managed to grab some of the top of the line R model in and drive away now!

Polo GTI is on 12 months wait.. Golf GTI / R are on 8 months (if you want one with specific options)..

VAG just don't make enough cars!!
    Last edited by natnat; 29-08-2011 at 06:54 PM.

With VW you would probably be very good buddies with the service center staffs after a while. My friend's brand new golf have had a few tow back to SC with the DSG check light blinking and no drive.

Member Array
    Car:
    07 Euro Lux
    Quote Originally Posted by tron07 View Post
    With VW you would probably be very good buddies with the service center staffs after a while. My friend's brand new golf have had a few tow back to SC with the DSG check light blinking and no drive.
    yeah.. heard the dsg and tsi engines on the golfs were no good...

Member Array
    Car:
    GTI /Tiguan/CU2
    true that VWs tend to have problems, especially for owners who don't know much about cars (ie: never check engine oil level, no using the correct fuel, etc...). bear in mind, VW makes a lot more cars than Honda worldwide

you'll see 10 more VW's with problems among 1000 VW's and compared to say 400 Hondas.

Honda is simple engineering product, eg: headlights / windows / lighting, all wired in simple ways.

VW, headlights, windows, lighting, door locks, etc... all controlled via VAGCOM system. even the oil has to be specific, VW 504.00 / 502.00 / 505.00 / 507.00 etc.. approved only... 5L variety costs at least $75. you can't just chuck in $30 5L castrol magnatec.

VW do much much more R&D and come up with new technology; some work very very well, some just don't make it (eg: mk6 golf 118tsi engine failure i had last year).

but at the end of the day, i've seen many people from JDM who converted to VW's scene as they grow older..

and there are many hard core fans who are crazy about 1974 VW Golf GTI and maintain them very very well...

remember, VW is a poor man's Audi

almost every single part has both Audi and VW logos on it..

My GTI has an Audi engine...
    Last edited by natnat; 30-08-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Has anyone priced a VW Jetta to a similar spec to the base Euro but with the 1.4L turbo engine to see how much that would cost?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by natnat View Post
    true that VWs tend to have problems, especially for owners who don't know much about cars (ie: never check engine oil level, no using the correct fuel, etc...). bear in mind, VW makes a lot more cars than Honda worldwide

you'll see 10 more VW's with problems among 1000 VW's and compared to say 400 Hondas.

Honda is simple engineering product, eg: headlights / windows / lighting, all wired in simple ways.

VW, headlights, windows, lighting, door locks, etc... all controlled via VAGCOM system. even the oil has to be specific, VW 504.00 / 502.00 / 505.00 / 507.00 etc.. approved only... 5L variety costs at least $75. you can't just chuck in $30 5L castrol magnatec.

VW do much much more R&D and come up with new technology; some work very very well, some just don't make it (eg: mk6 golf 118tsi engine failure i had last year).

but at the end of the day, i've seen many people from JDM who converted to VW's scene as they grow older..

and there are many hard core fans who are crazy about 1974 VW Golf GTI and maintain them very very well...

remember, VW is a poor man's Audi

My GTI has an Audi engine...
    The 1.4 tsi had issues because the tune I believe. The engine runs very lean that caused all cylinder/piston issues. VAG tried to have the cake and eat it too with fuel consumpion and performance on the 1.4 tsi.
    Last edited by Fredoops; 30-08-2011 at 11:52 AM.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    GTI /Tiguan/CU2
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredoops View Post
    The 1.4 tsi had issues because the tune I believe. The engine runs very lean that caused all cylinder/piston issues. VAG tried to have the cake and eat it too with fuel consumpion and performance on the 1.4 tsi.
    no man, had the tune reflashed by VW at 9000kms... but i guess too much VTEC redlining driving mode killed it at 16000kms...

Member Array
    So it's a design flaw.. damn..

Hows the current gti holding up?

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by boleh View Post
    So it's a design flaw.. damn..

Hows the current gti holding up?
    GTis fine, both polo and golf GTis are fine, it seems to be limited to 118tsi.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Has anyone priced a VW Jetta to a similar spec to the base Euro but with the 1.4L turbo engine to see how much that would cost?
    I'll do that when I get home I guess
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Update: Had a look at the spec sheet between base jetta and euro (but Jettas got a bigger boot).

Jetta lacks: Alloy wheels, USB ipod (but has Bluetooth). And thats about it.

A manual Jetta base with no options has a driveaway price of $30105 (QLD)
    A manual Euro with no options has a driveaway price of $33148 (QLD) +$3043 (more $$ for metalic paint)
    A manual Mazda 6 (limited, so base spec, no alloy) has a driveway proce of $30749 (QLD) +$604

An automatic Jetta Comfortline is similar to base euro, except it gains reverse sensor/camera (like the lux) $36285 (QLD)
    An auto base euro (bigger alloys, 17 vs 16) loses reverse camera $35,517 (QLD) -$768 (more $$ for metalic paint)

Jetta Fuel Consumption Combined: 6.2
    Euro Fuel Consumption Combined: 8.7
    Mazda6 Fuel Consumption Combined: 8.4

Go figure
    Last edited by Fredoops; 30-08-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    Yeah i'm with Ron on this one.Heard a few VW horror stories too.I'm too used to Jap car reliability.Some of the new VWs look tempting .But??

Member Array
    Car:
    ACCORD EURO
    The base Euro auto is priced very similar to the Jetta comfortline auto.

Jetta offers a few things extra,such as reverse sensors as standard,tyre preassure sensor,stay on lights after car has been tuerned off,auto dimming mirror,and illuminated footwells.More toys,for sure.

BUT the Euro is still more substantial,offering chrome door handles,exhausts,and trim around the windows.
    Tilting door mirror when reversing,alarm,17 inch alloys as apposed to 16 inch alloys,6 stack cd,10 speakers,lights in doors as apposed to reflectors,and paddle shifters.

Which one is better ???

On paper,Honda wins again.

I am going to check out the Jettas,and will report back again next week.